3 Month Internship for NetBeans Platform Developer
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Intern job only, limited to 3 months, must be a graduate or undergraduate student. Pardon the marketing and legalese, but be warned that this is a medium to large company, so the hiring manager has to follow the rules as well as the candidates.
My company shares my passion for helping to improve human health around the world.
This is My MedImmune: Those who join MedImmune feel a sense of ownership about their future. They thrive with a recognized leader in the biotechnology industry and the wholly-owned subsidiary of AstraZeneca plc. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance science, technology and medicine to develop products designed to help people live better lives. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, integrity and growth opportunities…that encourages both individual contribution and collaborative entrepreneurial thinking. Our products and/or product candidates are designed to address areas of need in infection, oncology, respiratory disease and inflammation, cardiovascular/gastrointestinal disease and neuroscience. Explore a MedImmune career as we strive to better more lives, more often, around the world.
Location: MD, Gaithersburg - Corporate Headquarters
Major Duties and Responsibilities (including supervising others):
- MedImmune has an open summer intern position in the Characterization Group within the Analytical Biochemistry Department. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting various projects in the group by designing and programming innovative computer based data analysis tools.
- The primary responsibility of the candidate will be to write programs and scripts that automate and increase the efficiency of data analysis, data backup, and database building for data from existing projects. This will include data graphing and visualization algorithms that facilitate and enhance understanding the results of various biophysical assays.
- Some systems analysis and user training is also expected requiring good listening and presentation skills.
- Scientific direction will be given by the supervisor, but the candidate must be able to understand chemical and biophysical concepts.
- The candidate will present and discuss experimental results at group/project team meetings and present a poster at an end of the summer internal session. Finally, he/she must be able to work in a team structure and interface with different research and development departments.
- Education: Graduate student in biophysics, engineering, or computer science.
- Experience: Some experience in chemistry lab (biophysical, analytical, or molecular biology). Must have successfully completed at least one desktop application program, preferably in NETBEANS or JAVA.
- Special Skills/Abilities: Knowledge of NetBeans Platform for stand alone applications is essential. Knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Excel scripts is highly desirable. Basic knowledge of chemistry, buffers, kD, ka values required. Understanding of thermodynamics and physical properties of aqueous solutions is desirable. Excellent mathematical ability necessary. Understanding of computer graphics and plotting is highly desirable.
Job Complexity: Medium
Supervision: Medium supervision. Must be able to meet customer requirements and adhere to programming standards. Must be able to program independently. (Supervision required, level of independence)
If you are interested in this position please — Apply online at www.medimmune.com/careers and search for Req #. 02347
MedImmune is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. MedImmune does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on MedImmune’s approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to MedImmune by search/recruiting agencies not already on MedImmune’s approved agency list shall become the property of MedImmune and if the candidate is subsequently hired by MedImmune, MedImmune shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.