4 of the Best Free Code Editors for Windows and Mac
4 of the Best Free Code Editors for Windows and Mac
There are numerous code editors available, but we have shortlisted the best ones that are available for free to use with the most efficient features.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
If you are a coder then you do know the importance of having an efficient code editor. The code editor could be a standalone application or it could also be integrated into an IDE. Some of the people even use the normal notepad for writing codes as they are really pro in code writing skills. But if you have not yet achieved that level yet, and also want to speed up your code writing speed then you should use an efficient code editor.
With a code editor, you can write the codes in a fast and efficient manner and that is why the programming industry prefers it. There are numerous code editors available on the internet, some of them are free while the other applications are paid.
Sublime text is another light-weight text editor. It is compact however powerful. It provides powerful IDE-like options alongside Python Scripting and with the capability to customize the editor and customize the editor with great speed and efficiency. There are several code editors that support the black background for enhanced view and Sublime Text is one among them.
1. Multi-Line select and editing
2. Offers cross-platform support
3. Instant file switching
4. Beginner-friendly interface
5. The black screen supports distraction-free writing mode
6. Totally customizable
7. Syntax detection and error highlighting
1. Poor support for UNIX operating system
2. Opening huge files take time
3. Crashes often
4. The much-used package manager is missing from the software package
5. The code editor does not support the option of printing
6. No toolbar of its own
If you're beginning with the fundamentals of programming, Sublime Text is the best hypertext mark-up language and PHP editor to go with. Most of the code editors support these basic programming languages, however, they need a complicated interface and are smart for primarily server-side programming.
Notepad++ is an advanced and feature-rich relative of the notepad text editor that you discover in Windows OS. There is a similar interface of the two that you will notice instantly once you start working on Notepad++.
The application supports numerous programming languages, however, it is usually identified for being the most effective hypertext mark-up language editor. The application supports colored lines and while writing the syntax of the language and any script the mistakes within the code would be shown instantly.
1. Being designed for the Windows platform, it also can run on a UNIX operating system, Unix, Macintosh OS X (using Wine).
2. It is a light-weight application that launches quickly.
3. Supports external plugins as well as macros.
4. The interface supports tabbed writing.
5. Bookmarks can be added.
6. Drag and Drop choice for beginners.
7. The choice to find and replace text
8. Full-Screen Mode
9. Code and text folding
10. Compiler Integration
11. FTP support
12. Spell check with file comparison
1. Remote file writing does not support HTTP, SSH or WebDAV
2. Does not support huge files
3. A third-party program (wine) is required to run the appliance on Macintosh OS X.
Atom is the invention of GitHub’s greatest minds and appears similar to the Sublime Text. The interface appears a bit like the latter text editor. Several programmers would feel more comfortable while using Atom as it has an easy interface as compared to the other text editor.
1. Simple to navigate interface
2. Supports Command Palette
3. Special Developer Tools
4. Package Manager Integrated for Plugins support
5. Customizing UI is simpler as compared to alternative code editors
6. The GitHub community is pretty active in resolving the problems
7. Fuzzy File Finder
1. Slow as compared to alternative text editors
2. No Corona Package
3. CoffeeScript required to write down the packages.
4. Problem in handling huge files
The Atom developer community is incredibly useful and helps plenty in breaking the problem faced by any developer. Being an Open Source platform, it is the most effective text editor for advanced programming. Atom is one of those few code editors that get updated frequently with new functions and bug fixes.
The Macintosh supported Text Editor for the coders who prefer speed and optimization in a single code editor. Coda supports OS X 10.7.5 and also later versions of Macintosh. It is one of the only few code editors that are carefully designed for the Macintosh systems.
The application has evolved a lot from its initial release in 2007 from an easy text editor to a previewer. It enclosed each essential feature that will help you power up your coding session as well as the syntax, reviewing, and uploading your websites. The Transmit Turbo Engine supports the fast uploading from a remote location.
1. The core features are integrated concisely
2. Leopard Graphical User Interface
3. Auto code completion
4. Block editing and syntax coloring
5. The option of drag and drop
6. Terminal window support for MySQL queries
1. Best fitted to programming in markup language and CSS
2. Supports Mac-based systems only
3. Crashes frequently due to the support for network drives
4. Quite expensive application as compared to alternative code editors
Coda is the best alternative for Web design suites. It combines all the required tools that you need for developing a website from scratch. Coda is the best text editor for Mac considering the price and features. The app additionally supports appropriate notification for any updates.
Coding and the development of desktop and web applications is one tough job, and to enhance the overall productivity these are some of the best code editors. You can choose the one according to your requirement and affordability.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.