Manual Testing is the oldest and the most rigorous form of testing. One of the crucial reasons for organizations to continue with this technique is the inability of the automated tools to handle the constant changes required in the applications. Despite being in an era of automation testing, there are few QA departments carrying out 80% of manual testing. Testing manually can be a laborious task for the testers as it requires patience and an ability to think out of the box. Testers have to be innovative and skilful in order to carry out this testing service. It becomes necessary for the testing professionals to think from the user’s perspective.
This technique involves continuous testing of the applications in order to properly detect all the defects. During the initial phase, it is imperative to test the application thoroughly rather than spending valuable time in writing test scripts. Manual testing is said to be more effective for any web or mobile application when the tester is able to identify severe errors in the application within a short span of time. Skill to save time and ensure the quality of the application within a given time span is a final destination for any manual tester.
There are different tools available to increase the test efficiency of automated scripts. There are many readily available tools to support every scenario in test automation. Whereas, there are some test cases where the testers feel should be tested manually. In automation testing, testers struggle between test scripts, test reports, and test data which results in the creation of various errors like entering wrong test scripts or test data etc.
A lot has been done to improve the efficiency of automation testing but a lesser effort has been made to improve the efficacy of manual testing. Let’s discuss few factors that can be considered to make it more efficient.
Check out the key factors below to assist in making manual testing more efficient:
1. A detailed review of required documents and a thorough understanding of all the modifications and implementations is the foremost step in order to carry out functional testing.
2. Test cases should emphasize on every minute detail for new implementation describing each functionality.
3. A per the requirement of the application, cross-browser functional testing should be performed without a doubt. Various UI errors can be observed with the help of cross-browser functional testing.
4. While preparing for the test cases, major prominence should be given to areas where critical bugs can be found, for instance, areas where implementation of a new feature is required instead of regular changes in the user interface.
5. Bugs reporting should be clear enough to be understood by the developer with a proper use of bug tracking tools like JIRA, Bugzilla, etc.
To increase effectiveness and proficiency in manual testing and to achieve both speed and quality, it is advisable to use the above-mentioned steps.