6 Ways to Cut Cloud Costs from Jinesh Varia
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
At Adrian Cockcroft's presentation for the O'Reilly Software Architecture Conference, he spent a lot of time on identifying cloud usage costs and ways to shave those costs way down. He had a great slide that nicely sums up a lot of the strategies he mentioned, and it included six cost-cutting techniques summarized by Jinesh Varia of Amazon. I re-typed them here for you. Check them out, share them with your colleagues, and try some out.
- Business Agility by Rapid Experimentation = Profit
- Business-driven Auto Scaling Architectures = Savings
- Mix and Match Reserved Instances with On-Demand = Savings
- Consolidated Billing and Shared Reservations = Savings
- Always-on Instance Type Optimization = Recurring Savings
- Follow the Customer (Run web servers) during the day—Follow the Money (Run Hadoop clusters) at night
As you can see, the first 'way to cut costs' isn't really a savings tip, but it's probably just there to emphasize that speed of innovation should always be the number one goal, and no expense should be spared to do it.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.