7 Reasons Your Testing Team Will Love Record and Replay
7 Reasons Your Testing Team Will Love Record and Replay
Record and Replay is a feature of automated testing that helps your team shift left, run parallel testing, and more on a wide selection of browsers.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Imagine there was a way to have your manual tests recorded so you could easily replay them on hundreds of browsers without needing to perform the same exact actions over and over again. Record & Replay does just that, allowing you to test once and play it back on the largest selection of browsers in the cloud.
This may seem too good to be true, but many testers have already experienced the power of a codeless automated testing tool. If you're still a little lost, we'll make it easy for you. Here's exactly why you should be excited about Record & Replay:
- No coding knowledge needed - Have you been wanting to experience the speed of test automation but having trouble getting started with Selenium? If you don't know how to code, you have a long way to go from learning a programming language to writing your first working script. Luckily, with Record & Replay, no coding knowledge is needed. Rather than writing script, all you have to do is perform them and CrossBrowserTesting will record the actions. If you're struggling with complicated frameworks and commands to create a successful Selenium test, Record & Replay is a hassle-free way to automate with the skills you already possess.
- Ability to edit tests - What happens when you perform the wrong action in Record & Replay or want to change part of a test? No need to stress, all you have to do is go back and edit recorded scripts. Delete mistakes with one click, or go in and edit your script by clicking on the script name and "Edit Steps". There, you'll see all the recorded values for each step variable, and once you've made your adjustments, all you have to do is save it to put your changes into action. Whether it be a typo or missed step, there's no reason to spend valuable time redoing an entire test when all you need to do is fix one part of it.
- Unbeatable browser selection - There's no question - CrossBrowserTesting offers Record & Replay on the widest selection of browsers. In fact, most of our competitors aren't doing it at all. But we aren't here to brag, we just think that a test is only as valuable as the number of browser configurations it can be run on. That's why it makes sense that Record & Replay users have access to our numerous configurations, which means whether you want to test IE 8 or the newest Chrome release, you have the resources to check cross-browser functionality where and when you need to.
- Parallel testing capabilities - What's better than automating one test at a time? How about automating ten in parallel? With Record & Replay, it takes seconds to select your test suites and play them back at the same time against different browsers. Parallel testing gives you time back to focus on exploratory test and untouched code in your application. Stop running test after test in different browsers, and start running them all at once to make time for the tests you haven't run yet.
- Access to recording tools - Since tests are recorded as a script, sometimes you may want to insert certain commands that you can't do manually to get the results you want. For example, if you want to verify element properties to keep visual consistencies across different browsers, you might need extra capabilities to allow you to do that. The tools included in Record & Replay allow you to add quick commands such as expects, sleeps, and hovers to make sure you're making the most of your tests.
- Start shifting left - Software development teams aren't shifting left because it's the cool thing to do, it's actually just a really good way to make sure quality is accounted for earlier. Test automation has been a big part of the shift left movement, allowing teams to test faster and thus earlier and more often. For teams that haven't yet made the shift or who are just getting starting with automated testing, Record & Replay provides an on-ramp to automation, and sharing capabilities through Slack and Jira means encourages open communication with your entire team so you can get testing involved sooner in the software development lifecycle.
- Testing for all - As the roles in the software development lifecycle begin to overlap and blur, testing isn't just for testers anymore. While we do believe that organizations should depend on a dedicated QA team, there is more room for other software stakeholders to take part in some small testing tasks as well. Previously, the ability to automate was only available to automation engineers or testers with programming knowledge. Now anyone can test from developers and product managers to marketers and designers can take part, so your entire team can run like a well-oiled machine.
If your QA team is still playing a game of catch up to a development team that's continuously integrating new code, it's time to get on board with an automated testing tool.
Trying to understand automation can be daunting, but it doesn't have to be. Record & Replay can help you take the first steps to faster testing and increased code coverage to support your team from planning to deployment.
This article was first published on the CrossBrowserTesting blog.
Published at DZone with permission of Alex McPeak , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.