Top 7 Web Development Technology Stacks for 2021
One writer's thoughts on the best web development technology stacks available in 2021 and how to best integrate them to fit your needs.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Note: When you purchase through links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission.
In 2021, we have stepped into a new decade in which some technology stacks be at the forefront and dominate the web development world. Are you up to date with the web technology stacks for 2021? If not, then this article can help you out.
“Figuring out what the next big trend is, tells us what we should focus on.” — Mark Zuckerberg.
Over the years, web development has become an indispensable element in the success of every industry. And, as you know, the web development world is continually changing, so its technology stacks are as well.
To make 2021 a flourishing year for your business, it is essential that you follow the right web development technology. So, I have made a list of the top web development stacks for 2021 to help you out.
Experts consider MEAN technology the best for web development due to its various benefits. It's comprised of MongoDB (a NoSQL DB), Express.js (a backend web framework), Angular (a front-end framework), and Node.js (an open-source cross-platform server), and can be used for developing complex mobile and responsive web applications.
Advantages of MEAN
- Highly flexible.
- Easily switch between client and server.
- Excellent for real-time web applications.
Disadvantages of MEAN
- Lack of widespread support.
- Security exploits.
- View available MEAN stack courses on Udemy.
React is a popular framework known for its flexibility and performance-oriented approach, enabling the building of top-end single-page apps with interactive interfaces. The MERN technology stack comes with an extensive suite of testing tools and is open source with community backing. It is the second most popular web technology stack of 2021.
Advantages of MERN
- UI rendering and performance.
- Easily switch between client and server.
Disadvantages of MERN
- Not fit for large scale applications.
- Lower productivity.
- View available MERN stack courses on Udemy.
3. Meteor.js Stack
Advantages of Meteor.js
- Seamless client-server communication.
- Real-time testing tools.
- An abundance of packages and libraries.
Disadvantages of Meteor.js
- Lacks SSR support.
- Problems with data integrity.
- Absence of a native widget library.
- Lacks built-in support for PWAs.
The next web development technology on my list is Flutter, a revolutionary web stack for the cross-platform development industry. Its major components include Dart, the Flutter engine, Foundation Library, and design-specific widgets.
Flutter is an open-source software development program for developing Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, Web, and Linux applications from a single codebase.
With it, you don't have to compromise on speed while building user interfaces, adding new features, or fixing bugs. When making software or an application, it is essential to employ a steady and regulated software technology stack. The backend needs to be created with tools that complement each other in order to reduce development time and coordinate resources.
Advantages of Flutter
- High performance.
- Growing popularity.
- Save on money and time.
- Mild learning curve.
- One UI design.
- Powerful community.
Disadvantages of Flutter
- A limited set of tools and libraries.
- Heavy file size(s).
- Weak support for iOS features.
- Lack of password manager support.
- The Complete 2021 Flutter Development Bootcamp with Dart on Udemy. 4.7/5.0 ratings from 36k reviews and 120k students
5. The Serverless Technology Stack
Developing applications on cloud infrastructure is a popular web development trend these days and choosing it can benefit you greatly. Infrastructure management has become easy now with the provision of services and tools provided by serverless computing platforms.
With the serverless technology stack, one can easily scale up to thousands of users immediately during sudden spikes, and scale down, too, as the spike subsides. The first abstract platform offering serverless computing was Google App Engine, introduced in 2008. Later, AWS launched AWS Lambda in 2014.
Advantages of Serverless Technology Stack
- Lower costs.
- Fewer things to worry about.
- More focus on user experience.
- Enhanced scalability.
Disadvantages of Serverless Technology Stack
- Unsuitable for long-term tasks.
- Vendor lock-in.
- Cold starts.
6. The LAMP Technology Stack
LAMP is an old classic industry standard when it comes to time-tested web development stacks, which comprises MySQL (Relational Database Management), Linux (Operating System), PHP (Programming Language), and Apache (HTTP server). It is open-source and available for free.
The stack runs efficiently on all operating systems. In web development, it provides the website with the best performance, cost efficiency, and flexibility. Its components can be interchanged or modified within the same stack.
Today, the LAMP stack's simplicity, power, and stability have made it one of the preferred platforms for developing custom and advanced web apps for 2021.
Advantages of LAMP Technology Stack
- Entirely open source.
- Users can access digital documentation easily.
Disadvantages of LAMP Technology Stack
- Performance issues on high-traffic sites.
- Difficult to get all components to work together.
7. Ruby on Rails Tech Stack
Ruby on Rails (RoR) is a developer-friendly web development stack. It is open-source, object-oriented, and uses a dynamic programming language called Ruby. RoR facilitates the development of lightweight applications that increase flexibility.
Advantages of Ruby on Rails
- Time efficiency.
- A high number of helpful tools and libraries.
- Huge and active community.
- Strong adherence to standards.
Disadvantages of Ruby on Rails
- Shortage of flexibility.
- Continuously evolving.
Ruby on Rails resources
- The Complete Ruby on Rails Developer Course on Udemy. 4.6/5.0 ratings from 12k reviews and 80k students
- Ruby On Rails: Understanding Ruby and The Rails Controller on Udemy. 4.8/5.0 ratings from 51 reviews and 2.5k students
So, What’s the Best Stack for Web Development in 2021?
Selecting the best web development technology stack in 2021 is a daunting task. Here, I’ve shared all the top web development technologies to guide you in choosing the best one according to your project requirements. By having faith in these technologies, you can succeed in your business.
Published at DZone with permission of Sneha Das. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.