A Beginner’s Guide to AIOps
In this post, we’re going to simplify your IT ops by helping you transform into a neoteric, future-ready business with AIOps! Let’s get into it.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
As a business leader, you may be aware of the increasingly computer-based operations that your enterprise is adopting. As businesses worldwide are transforming their operations to digital solutions, we’re creating more corporate data than ever before. According to Gartner, every year companies worldwide are creating two to three times more data than they did in the previous year.
This exponential growth of data has created a virtual tsunami that is becoming hard to manage and analyze. You must have noticed the significant increase in the time, effort, and money sapped by your business’s IT operations. This diverts your business from its core offerings and creates blurriness.
However, treated the right way, data produced by your business can not only help you create better models but show direct monetary advantages in the long run. By swapping your traditional IT operations with AIOps, your business significantly reduces the time, effort, and money put in IT ops while yielding better predictions, analysis, and statistics. AIOps is future-ready, reliable, scalable, and easy to install into your business without significant effort.
But what is AIOps? What problems will it solve for my business? What are the AIOps solutions available in the market, and what to consider when buying AIOps products?
In this post, we’re going to simplify your IT ops by helping you transform into a neoteric, future-ready business with AIOps! Let’s get right into it.
What Is AIOps?
Artificial Intelligence for IT Operations – commonly known as AIOps - is the application of artificial intelligence technologies to improve corporate IT operations. It’s also referred to as IT operations analytics (ITOA).
AIOps allows your business to reduce the time and effort it spends on performing redundant, repetitive IT operations and allows you to focus on your core offerings. At its core, AIOps uses big data, machine learning, and smart analytics to automate and enhance your IT Operations. It can analyze substantial amounts of business data and perform highly accurate and precise predictions and statistics for your business.
As your business scales, your data becomes increasingly dynamic, diverse, and hard to analyze. Your business needs an operations manager that is future-ready. AIOps not only reduces the time and effort put into IT operations, but it saves a considerable amount of money that would otherwise be spent on upgrading traditional ITOps as your business scales.
Traditional IT Operations can take many months to discover patterns in your business processes, create valuable analysis, and reach the accuracy that AIOps can deliver within a few seconds of processing! AIOps is an ultramodern IT solution that was coined by Gartner in 2016. As a business leader, you have the opportunity to incredibly fasten your corporate processes by integrating AIOps into your business before your competitors even know what AIOps is!
What Problem Does AIOps Solve for Your Business?
Scaling your business means increasing the volume and type of data. As you sell more products to a broader market, countless variables come into play, and data becomes extremely dynamic and difficult to handle.
The work pressure on IT operations staff is greater than ever before. Handling and processing a never-ending and exponentially growing tsunami of data is forcing employees to meet unrealistic targets in a short time. Apart from reducing your productivity, such practices also hurt the morale of people working for your enterprise.
To meet the demands, your business is forced to hire more IT staff and spend money and time upgrading your IT infrastructure. While this can work in the short term, you’ll have to repeat this process to oblivion as corporate data sees no end to its exponential rise. Eventually, your business will waste way too much time and money on what doesn’t even constitute your core offering.
To top it off, even as you keep spending more on IT, your productivity will keep reducing while the demand for data management will be rising like never before. The fact is, traditional IT operations cannot efficiently scan millions of data fields with great accuracy, determine the right patterns, and make quality predictions. The physical limits of human IT operators, coupled with the ever-rising volume of data, make AIOps the only sustainable long-term solution.
If you wish to scale your business, expand your customer pool, generate more profits, make accurate predictions, improve your business analysis, AIOps is the best way to achieve your corporate dreams! With AIOps, you can get rid of problems such as:
- Increasing investment of time, money, and resources in IT operations: AIOps automates much of your IT workflows to reduce the amount of time and money you invest in manual work.
- Overburdening of employees working: Backed on CI/CD infrastructure, AIOps does most of your redundant, repetitive work by itself so your staff it’s overburdened with work!
- Inaccurate/imprecise business reports, predictions, and forecasts: Fusing Machine Learning, Smart Analytics, and Artificial Intelligence, your business reports and forecasts are guaranteed to be accurate and meaningful.
- Slow anomaly detection and inaccurate error tracking: Manually detecting anomalies and tracking down points of error can consume a lot of time, leading to greater chances of reduced product quality and monetary losses for your business. AIOps quickly identifies anomalies and warns you in advance, then tracks through the errors and finds the core problem!
By integrating AIOps, you automate a significant sector of your business and create better clarity and more energy to boost your performance!
How Can Your Business Use AIOps?
If you’re wondering how exactly will AIOps simplify your IT operations, let’s explore various use cases for AIOps!
Traditional IT methods are finding it increasingly difficult to analyze corporate data with accuracy. The sheer volume of data is making performance analysis difficult within a reasonable time frame. AIOps can analyze an enormous volume of data, including the most complicated types of data, within very little time and resources!
Moreover, combining machine learning and smart analytics, AIOps provides better, more reliable predictions and analysis for your business.
Machine Learning is outstanding in identifying data outliers. It uses complicated, fine-tuned algorithms to monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) using present-to-past comparison. By identifying events and activities that don’t fit in your regular business pattern, AIOps quickly detects anomalies and identifies their origin.
Companies implementing AIOps have noted a stunning 70 to 90 % drop in incident investigation time! The efficiency and accuracy of anomaly detection save tremendous money in quality control and ensures a great production quality for your customers!
AIOps has the unique ability to see through the correlations between events. AIOps helps determine how one factor leads to another and allows your business to track the origin of various errors accurately. Furthermore, AIOps groups related events and put them on its “hit list.”
IT Service Management (ITSM)
AIOps can single-handedly manage a broad range of IT services, including product designing, building, delivering, quality control, management, amongst others. It also acts as a catalyst to ITSM employees and provides them with better action plans and insights to boost productivity and efficiency for your company’s IT operations and services.
Traditional IT operations entirely rely on your IT staff manually conducting testing, analysis, and insights based on the data. Based on the skill set you hire, the results of these analyses can vary. AIOps consistently provides great insights without any human interaction.
Feed AIOps the data, and it does its magic to present you with the most reliable and valuable facts, business patterns, predictions, and analyses consistently for decades. Automation with AIOps reduces over 10 to 15% time to market for new applications. It makes IT operations faster, cheaper, and more reliable!
Benefits of Using AIOps
Artificial Intelligence leverages the advantages of machine learning, big data, and smart analysis to provide your business with significant perks that make AIOps a convincing investment.
Let’s explore a few benefits that AIOps delivers for your business:
- Reduced Downtime: AIOps detects and fixes bugs automatically, minimizing potential downtime!
- Complete Analysis and Insight: AIOps combines a wide array of data sources, including those which traditional IT Ops ignore, to create a more comprehensive, accurate analysis and give more in-depth insights.
- Save Time, Money, and Resources: AIOps can scale with your data without additional effort or investment!
- Improved Service Delivery: Increase the speed and quality of your production with special monitoring and delivery!
- Better Error Prevention: AIOps detects error patterns and uses proactive forecasting technologies to prevent errors.
- Enhanced Productivity and Morale: AIOps significantly cuts down the work burden on your staff. Creator a more productive environment and boost employee morale!
Existing AIOps Solutions for Your Enterprise
Even though AIOps is a relatively new solution, various products are available in the market to AIOps-ify your enterprise.
Splunk is a leading AIOps vendor that combines artificial intelligence and machine learning to provide consistent analyses, forecasts, predictions, event management, anomaly detection, data clustering, amongst many others! It’s a whole package that allows your enterprise to deliver better IT operations faster and cheaper.
PagerDuty is another valuable AIOps product that allows your enterprise to easily ingests any alert data, leverages ML to reduce noise, triages the actionable data, leverages automation to resolve the incident. It provides special monitoring, correlation, and analysis solutions.
Other companies, including BigPanda, Moogsoft, AppDynamics, Micro Focus, Centerity, Zenoss, and Kentik, also provide excellent AIOps solutions for your business!
What to Consider Before Buying AIOps Products?
When picking a vendor for AIOps, here’s a list of factors to consider:
- Adaptability: Your AIOps solution should have the capability to work with a wide range of data types. It should have the ability to adapt to changes in your data structure and be future-ready.
- Data Enrichment: The AIOps solution should help your business enrich its existing data. As your enterprise collects huge data, the AIOps solution should combine old data with real-time to create accurate predictions.
- Self-Learning: The AIOps system should be aware of its data and have the ability to track patterns. It should remember hazardous patterns and alert you of the same in the future. It should, quite literally, learn about data patterns by itself.
- Ease of Use: If your IT staff isn’t able to operate the AIOps system to its full extent, there’s no point in installing AIOps within your business. The interface should be easy to use and have a short learning curve.
If you’re a business leader aiming to scale your business in an increasingly digital world, AIOps is the most reliable long-term solution for your enterprise. Cutting down costs, increasing predictive accuracy, providing valuable insights, reducing the time taken by IT operations, and boosting employee morale, AIOps touches every angle of your business to create a sustainable model that’ll bring you rewards for decades!
We hope this post leads your business to new heights! If you’ve liked this post or would like to share your thoughts, we’re always listening in the comments section!
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.