A Detailed Comparison Between Top Programming Language: Rust vs Go
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
To thrive in a competitive world, choosing the right programming language is important. It is important for the businesses as well as developers to provide a good experience to its users.
With so many new programming languages that are proving to be effective, it has become difficult to choose the one which suits best. So, here, in this article, I’ll talk about the two of the most popular programming languages, Rust and Go. I’ll be briefing you about both languages and comparing the two of them.
This language was launched in 2010 with an aim for better security, great modularity, and improved parallelism and performance. As per research, it is found that approximately 74.5% of the developers are in favor of the Rust programming language. There are so many projects going on which use the Rust programming language. In 2018, there was a growth of approximately 23% in the use of Rust programming language.
Benefits of Rust
- The speed of Rust is on another level, and it is one of the reasons for its popularity.
- Time-saving for crashing, testing, and debugging.
- Zero abstraction cost and predictable behavior for the runtime.
- Does not allow the unprotected memory access
- Rust has an extensive support community.
- It is interoperable with C, FFI, and many other languages.
It was launched back in 2007 by Google to conceptualize to bring more productivity. Go (also known as Golang) is popular for inbuilt concurrency and garbage collection. Go is designed in a way that it can manage the rigorous dependency and robustness across the various boundaries of the components.
- The best thing about Go is its simplicity.
- It is a language known for being efficient, concise, and paramagnetic.
- A developer will observe a huge level of flexibility with this language.
- It can work faster than any other programming languages in terms of compilation of the code.
- It has extremely strong interoperability with the C# language.
So, this was all a glimpse of the two top programming languages. Now, let us go through the important comparison points to choose the best one from the two.
Performance and Working - Rust vs Go
The performance is one of the factors that can give you an idea for the comparison. The run speed of both languages Rust and Go is almost similar to C++ and C respectively. When it comes to a keen comparison, the development speed of Go is more than that of Rust. In several steps, the performance of Go falls in comparison to Rust.
Concurrency - Go vs Rust
Modern-day apps should be able to run independently without any risk for data corruption. This risk of data corruption can be controlled with the help of sharing state between the tasks. Go's syntax comes with inbuilt concurrency, but the same is not the case with Rust. Therefore, in terms of concurrency, Go wins the race.
Development Speed - Rust vs Go
Sometimes, the development speed becomes more important than that of the program speed. The simplicity and directness that comes with Go make it a faster language than many others. On the other hand, when we talk about Rust, it has more language features which makes it longer for the process for the development and even compilation. So, here we can say that, in terms of development and compilation speed, Go wins the race.
Memory Management - Go vs Rust
Through zero-cost abstraction, Rust uses the compile strategy for memory management. If there are any security issues in the Rust program, it will not be able to perform the compilation stage. Just like Rust, Go is also memory safe. But, for Go, this is handled automatically during the runtime, which sometimes causes issues. So, in terms of memory management, Rust is more reliable in comparison to Go.
These were a few main point comparisons between the Golang and Rust. In web development, whether it is Rust or Go, both can come up with extraordinary web designs. As per the views of developers. Go is a bit more beneficial than that of Rust.
Who Won The Battle - Rust vs Go?
We might just keep on discussing on the sides and it will never end. Everything has two sides and the same is with these top programming languages too. It highly depends on your needs for which one to go for. Both languages have their own pros and cons. But still, to choose one of the two is a tricky choice. To help you in making a decision, here are a few points that can decide on which language to go for.
When to Choose Rust:
- If planning to incorporate the C language.
- If performance is the main goal for your business
- When you need control on every single program of your platform and want to accurately know the performance of every thread of the system.
When to Choose Go:
- When readability is an important requirement for you
- If your aim is simplicity and uniformity
- If you want a faster development and compilation.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.