To gather insights on the evolution of IoT to this point in 2017, we spoke to 19 executives who are familiar with the current state of the Internet of Things.
We asked them, "What else about IoT haven't we discussed that we need to cover in this research guide?" Here's what they told us:
- Edge with distributed data – what does it mean? AWS is addressing with Green Grass, so you know the industry is asking for it. Part of processing has to happen outside the cloud. Hybrid computing is the architecture – must cover on-prem and cloud.
- Are we designing systems to collect data today or for the next generation in one to five years?
- To succeed you will need external resources like data scientists. Train and educate similar to how you develop security experts. Refocus on what the end point means.
- Focus on IoT creating a data explosion, edge computing, and devices. We need to focus on storage of the data. Industries are coming together to solve problems.
- Companies that blend embedded development with modern cloud thinking are more successful.
- Who owns the data? How will that play out? How does the government take a role in that? With the connected car, the auto manufacturer wants the data, the dealer wants the data, the insurance company wants the data, and the parent of the kid driving the car wants the data.
- There’s a war between Apple and Google with fragmented OS software. What’s the future of platforms and frameworks? What are other’s insights on this evolution – monopolies or integration?
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning. More use of AI and machine learning in new products. Always on with intelligent listening and vision. Huge amount of data to process makes it interesting on the database and device side. AI inspired products will be running on these devices.
- There’s a need for standards. There are many solutions and we need an industry body to set standards for platforms, applications, how to integrate and connect.
Is there anything regarding IoT in 2017 we've failed to cover in this series of articles? Let us know below!
And in case you're wondering, here’s who we talked to:
- Scott Hanson, Founder, and CTO, Ambiq Micro
- Adam Wray, CEO and Peter Coppola, SVP, Product Marketing, Basho
- Farnaz Erfan, Senior Director, Product Marketing, Birst
- Shahin Pirooz, CTO, Data Endure
- Anders Wallgren, CTO, Electric Cloud
- Eric Free, S.V.P. Strategic Growth, Flexera
- Brad Bush, Partner, Fortium Partners
- Marisa Sires Wang, Vice President of Product, Gigya
- Tony Paine, Kepware Platform President at PTC, Kepware
- Eric Mizell, Vice President Global Engineering, Kinetica
- Crystal Valentine, PhD, V.P. Technology Strategy and Jack Norris, S.V.P., Database Strategy and Applications, MapR
- Pratibha Salwan, S.V.P. Digital Services Americas, NIIT Technologies
- Guy Yehaiv, CEO, Profitect
- Cees Links, general manager Wireless Connectivity, Qorvo
- Paul Turner, CMO, Scality
- Harsh Upreti, Product Marketing Manager, API, SmartBear
- Rajeev Kozhikkuttuthodi, Vice President of Product Management, TIBCO