To gather insights on the state of web application development today, we spoke to 13 executives from 12 companies developing web applications or providing web application development tools to their clients.
Specifically, we spoke to:
Samer Fallouh, Vice President, Engineering and Andrew Turner, Senior Solution Engineer, Dialexa | Anders Wallgren, CTO, ElectricCloud | Brent Sanders, CEO, Fulton Works | Charles Kendrick, CTO, Isomorphic Software | Ilya Pupko, V.P. of Product Management, Jitterbit | Faisal Memom, Product Marketing, NGINX | Bruno Correa, IT Coordinator, Ranstad Brazil | Craig Gering, Vice President, Engineering, Sencha | Joachim Wester, Founder, Starcounter | Michael Morris, CEO, Topcoder | Greg Law, CEO, Undo | Alexey Aylarov, CEO, Voximplant
When we asked them, "What have I failed to ask you that you think we need to consider with regard to developing web applications?," here's what they told us:
- Productivity is about to change with AI. Communications are missing where opportunities lie with AI.
- Lack of thinking through requirements up front is killing a lot of applications today. Be aware when adopting Agile since it can have implications on technology choices which are wrong – speedy progress may be in the wrong direction.
- I think that all questions are very good and allow both developers and companies to learn more about our industry. I think it will be exciting to hear about each company’s technology stack: what programming language they are using most, what version control system, build system and deploy system. That will show the diversity of our industry and will help new developers to understand what is popular in the wild.
- The elephant in the room for all but the top 10 IT companies is that people think they can get access to the talent they need. However, that’s just not true. What’s your strategy to solve for that? How do you plan to leverage the on-demand workforce? How does crowdsourcing and virtual labor fit into your company?
- I think the question “Does the business have a clear visibility about how web development is helping them to achieve their goals?” And the answer is YES! When you estimate something and say “Guys, we can do this using OutSystems or using traditional development” they pick OutSystems “We want that fast and UX oriented one…”
- What are the dynamics of an effective team? How are people working as a team to build something together?
- Cultural side – how does it impact software development, team work, company structure. How much do new development practices, DevOps/CI/CD and React drive app development versus how much are the apps driving the development practices?
- To ensure companies make the right technology choices, IT managers, developers, and executives need to trust each other. These groups all play important roles in mapping the latest technical info to the long-term business strategy so that informed decisions are made. Forming cross-functional teams is important for building relationships, so each group understands the value and perspective of the others. These teams can focus on product development, process improvement, and overall strategy.
Do you have any additional topics you think we need to consider regarding web application development that we have not addressed in the past nine articles?