Additional Considerations for Containers
Additional Considerations for Containers
In the last segment of our interviews with various IT industry professionals, we asked them what they had left to say. Here's what they gave us.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
See why enterprise app developers love Cloud Foundry. Download the 2018 User Survey for a snapshot of Cloud Foundry users’ deployments and productivity.
To gather insights on the current and future state of containers, we talked to executives from 26 companies. We asked, "What have I failed to ask you that you think we need to consider with regards to containers?" Here's what they told us:
- Need to think about cost of ownership, management, knowledge transfer, how to prepare developers to adopt. Keep up with what’s going on. Serverless is obvious automation of container technology. Ultimately a business problem to be able to show the value containers are providing.
- Ramping and speeding up. Help communities to decrease risks and threats.
- Containers are a huge change for enterprise deployment of applications. They involve application development, CI/CD pipeline automation, private-public cloud deployments, container scheduling, deployment, and management. Security challenges exist at multiple stages during this new process. That’s why people are talking about DevSecOps, DevOpsSecs, etc. By leveraging this modern automated container process, security solutions can be integrated into the DevOps chain at multiple stages for the first time. New security technologies are required that use traditional security techniques like network firewalling and endpoint security. For the first time, security can be automated and provide protection against multiple threat vectors, and the traditional boundaries between network security, host security, vulnerability management, endpoint security and authentication/authorization are being blurred. This is the problem we’re trying to solve at NeuVector – providing a multi-vector security solution designed for the new container environment.
- Security is not already taken care of. You need to actively consider security on a continuous basis.
Broad platform issues take data and features into consideration.
- Be able to programmatically perform on and off schedulers. If stateful and stateless, how are you managing K8 and understanding the health around all of them – the cluster itself and the connection with each other.
- What technologies will be made obsolete by containers? Specifically -what’s the future for VMs in a container world?
- What’s next after containers - functions?
- What areas of business currently use containers?
- With all of the frameworks and automation layers, where are companies able to create differentiated value?
Here’s who we spoke to:
- Matt Chotin, Sr. Director of Technical Evangelism, AppDynamics
- Jeff Jensen, CTO, Arundo Analytics
- Jaime Ryan, Senior Director, Project Management and Strategy, CA Technologies
- B.G. Goyal, V.P. of Engineering, Cavirin Systems
- Tasha Drew, Product Manager, Chef
- James Strachan, Senior Architect, CloudBees
- Jenks Gibbons, Enterprise Sales Engineer, CloudPassage
- Oj Ngo, CTO and Co-founder, DH2i
- Anders Wallgren, CTO, Electric Cloud
- Navin Ganeshan, Chief Product Officer, Gemini Data
- Carsten Jacobsen, Developer Evangelist, Hyperwallet
- Daniel Berg, Distinguished Engineer Cloud Foundation Services, IBM
- Jack Norris, S.V.P. Data and Applications, MapR
- Fei Huang, CEO, NeuVector
- Ariff Kassam, V.P. Product, NuoDB
- Bob Quillan, V.P. Container Group, Oracle
- Sirish Raghuram, CEO and Co-founder, Platform9
- Neil Cresswell, CEO/CTO, Portainer.io
- Sheng Liang, Co-founder and CEO and Shannon Williams, Co-founder and VP of Sales, Rancher Labs
- Bill Mulligan, Container Success Orchestrator, RiseML
- Martin Loewinger, Director of SaaS Operations and Jonathan Parrilla, DevOps Engineer, SmartBear
- Antony Edwards, CTO, Eggplant
- Ady Degany, CTO, Velostrata
- Paul Dul, V.P. Product Marketing Cloud Native Applications, VMware
- Mattius McLaughlin, Engineering Manager & Containers SME, xMatters
- Roman Shoposhnik, Co-founder, Product & Strategy, Zededa
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.