This is worth a read to keep tabs on just who’s winning teh app storez:
2013 was a milestone year for mobile apps and app stores alike, setting the stage for exciting new opportunities in 2014. Over the last year we saw many new trends including significant growth in emerging markets, a dramatic shift in game spending on mobile and the global expansion of social messaging platforms. In this App Annie Annual Index, we will uncover a variety of trends and insights to guide you in making smart business decisions.
Specifically, this App Annie Index 2013 Retrospective report recaps the top headline trends of 2013 with insights to the top-growing countries, categories, app stores, and more. The report shows the causes of this growth, giving you insights into the trends and markets you can’t ignore for the upcoming year…
Here’s their picks for ‘Top App Trends of 2013’:
- Trend 1: Google Play Surpassed iOS in Worldwide App Downloads
- Trend 2: Japan Became the #1 Country in App Revenue, Surpassing the US
- Trend 3: BRIC Countries Emerge in 2013, While New Markets Are Poised to Break Out in 2014
- Trend 4: App Store Games Spend Exploded, Surpassing Game-Optimized Handhelds
- Trend 5: Freemium Proves Its Worth
- Trend 7: Music App Revenue Rocked Out in 2013
- Trend 8: Social-Focused Photo & Video Apps Went Viral
- Trend 9: Mobile Banking, Payment, and Financial Management Apps on the Rise
The report also includes top apps and publishers by country, and top countries and categories for both the App Store and Google Play. Nothing shockingly unexpected jumps out at us on a first flip through it, but having some quantitative data to back up your impressions is always handy, yes?
Also check out Developer Economics Q1 2014 for another industry overview!