April in IoT: EveryTHING Else
April in IoT: EveryTHING Else
Let's take a look at the latest IoT news and tutorials, focusing on bringing a device to production, data pipelines, and 5G.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Digi-Key Electronics’ Internet of Things (IoT) Resource Center Inspires the Future: Read More
As I continue to refine these semi-monthly recaps, I find myself settling into a solid pattern. One post a month is dedicated to the tinkerers out there, focusing on projects for hobbyists and the like. That frees up the second recap to revolve around... well, everything else!
So, this month, check out the expertise you need on your team to launch an IoT device, how to create an IoT data pipeline, and the latest on 5G, driverless cars, and more!
I hope you enjoy!
Connecting You With What's Cool
- The 5 Domain Experts You Need to Build an IoT Device, by Jeffrey Lee. Learn the basic team composition and skill sets you need to build an industrial IoT device from prototype to production.
- Creating an IoT Kafka Pipeline in Under 5 Minutes, by Seth Luersen. Do you want to set up an IoT pipeline using the wonderful open source Apache Kafka? Here's how to send your device data to a MemSQL database.
- Hands-On IoT DevOps: Day 1, by Costas Pipilas. Is DevOps a workable goal for IoT development? In this introduction, we'll go over the challenges and some possible solutions for IoT DevOps.
- 2018, the Jetsons, and Smart Home Apps, by Nidhi Jaiswal. Let's take a look at how smart home apps are evolving and do brief scopes of a few smart home development use cases.
- A Primer for 5G, by Arslan Riaz. 5G communication is just around the corner. Let's examine the specs of this new standard and how it will impact mobile users, driverless cars, and the Industrial Internet.
By the way, if you're interested in writing for your fellow DZoners, feel free to check out our Writers' Zone, where you can also find some current hot topics, and our Bounty Board, which has writing prompts coupled with prizes.
IoT Around the Web
All About 5G
While Arslan Riaz shared a solid introduction for 5G with DZone readers, other writers have been busy as well. If you're curious about where 5G is going to fit into the wider IoT landscape, check out this article on NetworkWorld that covers where the new standard fits in with various industry verticals out there.
China Creates Guidelines for Self-Driving Car Tests
If you've had an eye on the news lately, you know that autonomous cars have been at the center of some controversy. Namely, a couple of people were recently killed in collisions involving self-driving cars, spurring discussion on the state of regulations surrounding those vehicles. To that end, China recently released new guidelines for testing self-driving cars, including a mandate that all testing needs to be done within closed zones before moving out into the wild.
A New IoT Security Maturity Model
The Industrial Internet Consortium made the news this week when it released an IoT security maturity model (PDF). It's an interesting approach that centers on three main areas of concern: governance, enablement, and hardening. If you're looking for a solid summary, take a look at this post from SecurityWeek. According to that article, this first go at the maturity model is focused on business decision makers. Meanwhile, a more technical paper will be published this summer.
Diving Deeper Into IoT
For those who follow along with our publications, we have good news: Our newest IoT research guide is slated to go out on April 16! It's going to focus on IoT security, the bridge between AI and IoT, and the latest smart city research. If you want to keep abreast of the latest goings-on in the ecosystem, you're going to want to read it.
But for now, feast your eyes on our latest, brandest new Refcard. When you've got some time, make sure you read Messaging Infrastructure for IoT at Scale. From the opening blurb, "IoT technology is all around us and can no longer be ignored. At the core of IoT technology is the messaging infrastructure. Download this Refcard to learn more about the foundation of an IoT platform, how to get started with EnMasse, and open source projects focused on IoT device connectivity."
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.