AWS vs. Google Cloud: Comparing the Giants
If you’re also at the crossroads of picking one, let’s help you decide. In this post, we have covered few key differences between these cloud computing giants.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
AWS and Google Cloud are two key rivals in the world of cloud computing and storage. While the first one is winning people’s hearts with its amazing flexibility and ample features, Google Cloud has managed to firm its feet in the industry with its superb backup services and cost-effectiveness. These two are performing such wonderfully at their respective fronts that it’s tough to pick one out of these two.
If you’re also at the crossroads of picking one, let’s help you decide. In this blog post of AWS VS Google Cloud 2021, we have covered few key differences between these co-workers cloud computing giants. Before we get into the details, let’s figure out the basics of these two.
What is AWS?
Started in 2006, AWS is a cloud computing service provider with multiple services and facilities. Since its beginning, AWS has played a crucial role in the development of Amazon. It has been a star performer, and, in 2020, once again, it was chosen as a leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant for cloud infrastructure as a service.
With AWS, one can gain access to a wide range of cloud services as a fully-fledged platform. In the world of cloud computing, AWS is often referred to as a powerhouse of storage, networking, deployment, and analytics as there is a solution offered for almost every related need.
What is Google Cloud?
Google Cloud, another leading name cloud computing domain, came into being in 2011. Like AWS, it is also a cloud computing service offered by Google and lets Google users make most of Google’s infrastructure.
Now that the basics are clear let’s look at the key differences between Google Cloud and AWS Cloud, which is primarily known for its cloud storage solutions while AWS offers simple store Amazon simple storage.
- The data transmitted via Google Cloud services are fully encrypted. On the other hand, data is handled in general format by AWS.
- These two differ in volume size as well. The volume size in Google Cloud is from 1GB to 64 TB. AWS offers only 500 GB to 16 TB volume size.
- With AWS, cloud-based disaster recovery services are at your disposal. Google Cloud is known for its amazing backup services.
Why Choose AWS?
Presently, AWS owns 31% of the cloud market and is the flag bearer of invention and technology. Such a high market presence will not be without any responsibility.
Here are the key reasons why you should choose AWS cloud migration over Google Cloud:
- If there are new updates and feature launches, AWS can handle them perfectly.
- Go for it if there is an in-house DevOps team to configure and take care of infrastructure. Projects with high computing requirements are handled perfectly with AWS.
- AWS is known to offer assorted automated functionalities such as setup configuration and scaling.
- Looking for a cost-effective option? AWS is an excellent choice to make as here you pay for what you do or use. It doesn’t bind you to a long-term commitment.
Why Choose Google Cloud?
Google Cloud is offered by Google, a name that doesn’t require any introduction. Here it why you might want to choose it over AWS by Amazon:
- Use Google Cloud if you are willing to have a future-proof infrastructure for your company. It has amazing accessibility employees can access it from anywhere. So, if remote working is your main motive behind shifting to the cloud, go for it.
- It comes with in-built powerful Data Analytics. So, taking data-driven decisions is possible with it.
- The serverless environment lets end-user connect cloud services easily and effectively. A wide range of big data and machine learning products are also offered.
Features of AWS That Make It Stand Out of Crowd
- It comes with centralized billing and management features.
- Hybrid capabilities are the best in the market.
- The total cost of ownership is not Pocket pinching compared to other private servers.
Features of Google Cloud That Make Its Stand Out of Crowd
- With simplified UI, it’s easier to get along with Google Cloud.
- Network access is wide.
- There is an on-demand self-service facility.
- More languages and OS support are available.
Downsides of AWS
While AWS is going a great job, using it is not always a win-win situation. Here are some of the key drawbacks of AWS:
- AWS deployment is without any error description, which means if there is a bug, you can end up scratching your head again and again as no clue is offered.
- It is a tough nut to crack when technicalities are concerned. Try your hand on it only if there is sound technical knowledge backing you.
- You’re on your own with AWS. Application development will be done by you using the Capistrano, recipes, and manual assistance.
- Don’t think of AWS if you need to run multiple apps instances, as it’s a cumbersome job.
Downsides of Google Cloud
It’s true that Google Cloud is here to make cloud computing effortless. But, there are few limitations as well. Here is the list:
- It features multiple small components which are tough to get started.
- Once you have consumed the facilities offered in the free version, get ready to pay every single time.
- When it comes to features, Google Cloud lags behind AWS.
AWS vs. Google Cloud- Comparing the Giants
By now, you must be clear with the fact that if there is anything that is ruling over the cloud computing arena, then AWS and Google Cloud are the names to be taken first. Going forward, we will compare these two giants at various factors such as their market revenue features offers to price so this is global reach three tires and the like So let’s get started.
AWS vs.Google Cloud 2021- Which One is Making More Money?
To begin with, Google Cloud has witnessed remarkable revenue growth of 18% in 2020, in Q1, because of Google Meet. It is a huge sum, and by the time we search at the end of 2021, Google Cloud touched the mark of $10 billion. On the other hand, AWS made nearly $10 billion in 2019. In 2020, AWS touched new heights with $45.3 billion in revenue. It’s far more than Google Cloud.
Winner — If market worth is compared, AWS is a clear winner. It is the market leader in both infrastructures as a service (Iaas) and platform as a service (PaaS) segments. AWS acquires 31% share of the total cloud market.
AWS VS Google Cloud 2021- Free Tier
AWS charges on a per-hour basis, while Google Cloud chooses to charge its customers on a per-minute basis. If the free tier of both the giants is compared, Google Cloud offers more features. There is a 90-days free trial offered with $300 in free Cloud Billing credits. In the free tier, full access is granted to features like Compute Engine, Cloud Storage, and BigQuery. Google Cloud Storage prices are 20% more pocket friendly than what AWS offers
AWS offers 12-months, Always free, and trial options in the free tier category. It varies for each product. So, it’s hard to make out how it’s as a whole.
Winner — With clear terms, Google Cloud is a winner at this front.
AWS VS Google Cloud 2021- Features and Services Offered
We have a clear winner at this front AWS offers more than 200 features while Google Cloud limits itself on 95.
In 2020, both Google Cloud and AWS launched few new features. From Google Cloud side, users are offered Big Query Omni, a new multi-cloud analytics solution, Confidential VMs, used for running workloads in Google Cloud, Assured Workloads for Government, for automatically control the workloads, and Customer to Community (C2C) for allowing Google Cloud customers to connect and share with each other effortlessly.
AWS is not lagging behind as well. AWS customers were bestowed with new features like new AWS Control Tower, a new management console in Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS) for creating, editing, viewing, and deleting Amazon ECS services and tasks, AWS IoT SiteWise Monitor now supports AWS CloudFormation, and AWS Data Exchange Publisher Coordinator and AWS Data Exchange Subscriber Coordinator in the category of AWS Solutions Implementations.
But, that also means one thing. AWS, with so many features, is useful and viable only in large enterprises with specific requirements. On the contrary, Google Cloud is everyone’s buddy. Even a small business or an individual can get along with it.
Verdict — With AWS, you’re offered more features and the best serverless architecture practices
AWS VS Google Cloud 2021- Market Reach
When global reach is the concern, again AWS succeeds and beat Google Cloud as by September 2020 Google Cloud platform was present only in 24 regions and in 35 countries. AWS is present in 245 countries. With each passing day, AWS is adding more and more data centers. So if you are looking for constant and interrupted support, then AWS is a great choice to make.
Winner — AWS has a better market reach
AWS vs. Google Cloud is a very tight fight. Both are equipped to cater to the needs of their customers with full satisfaction. One should always keep factors like organizational needs, budgets, features required, technical competency of the team, and features needs while making a decision on choosing the cloud service provider.
Sometimes, understanding all these things can be too tough or tiring. In that case, taking professional consulting help can sort out the things. With their help, it will be easier to understand the requirements and make a prudent choice. You can also take the help of AWS Consulting Partner or Google Cloud deployment experts thereafter.
Published at DZone with permission of Harry Stone. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.