AWS Weekly: Kill All the Servers!
It's time for another update of what's gone on recently in the AWS community. In this edition, check out an article about cannibalizing your own products and much more.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Monday, August 8
- Expanding to Canada: new edge locations for CloudFront (CDN) in Montreal and Toronto.
- Announcing regional expansion of EC2 instance types: C4 in South America (Sao Paulo), D2 in US West (N. California)
- Updating runtime environment: PHP 7 is now available on AWS Elastic Beanstalk.
Tuesday, August 9
- Timothy Prickett Morgan on First, Kill All The Servers.
- CloudFormation got even better: Supports AWS Certificate Manager, Service Auto Scaling in ECS, and enhances CloudFront and EFS support.
- AWS is announcing cost allocation tags for your Amazon CloudFront distributions.
- Cloud Academy published 5 Insider Tips for AWS Recertification.
- Building for failure: High Scalability wrote about 10 Gameday Failure Testing Scenarios From Obama For America.
Wednesday, August 10
- We published how to Create a serverless RESTful API with the Serverless Framework.
- Jeff Barr announced the AWS Serverless Chatbot Competition.
Thursday, August 11
- Big announcements during Werner’s keynote at AWS Summit in New York.
- EBS snapshot prices reduced by 47% in all regions.
- Increased maximum provisioned IOPS for EBS Volumes: 50 IOPS per GiB instead of 30 IOPS per GiB.
- AWS is introducing the Application Load Balancer which allows load balancing on Layer 7: content-based routing, web sockets and HTTP/2, and improved metrics.
- Another AWS Summit announcement: Limit access to your API Gateway with Usage Plans.
- Great news: Kinesis Analytics is available for everybody allowing you to analyze streaming data with SQL.
- Must be 2016: S3 supports IPv6, all other services will follow.
- BYOK (Bring Your Own Keys): Key Management Service supports importing your keys now.
- Never underestimate the bandwidth of a FedEx truck: AWS announced a job management API as well as an S3 adapter for their Snowball data devices.
Friday, August 12
- Boring day without any news from the AWS community.
Please send me your favorite news and articles from AWS universe for our AWS Weekly!
Published at DZone with permission of Andreas Wittig. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.