The Problem – Managing Network Costs
Most enterprise and virtually all e-commerce networks have become multi-homed in order to provide diversity and redundancy which ensures some measure of survivability should one vendor fail. Smart thinking.
But multi-homing your network introduces another set of problems – among them is cost management (splitting requirements across 2 providers reduces negotiating power, meeting or exceeding Committed Rates, network engineering costs to manage traffic, paying for unused bandwidth, and so forth).
The Unique Device
Internap’s Managed Internet Route Optimizer (MIRO) Controller is an intelligent network optimizer that not only optimizes traffic to guarantee the lowest latency possible, it also provides powerful analytics that enable clients to take control of and better manage their carrier costs.
Here are a few examples of the cost savings/cost management benefits you will see using this on premise traffic optimizing device:
- Organize your traffic to use the lowest cost provider available while still maintaining a good quality of service
- Ensure all Commit Rates are met for each carrier, saving you from paying unused Commit penalties
- Reduce budgets used for network engineering staff / consultants because the device operates automatically, optimizing up 48,000 times per hour, or re-point these costly resources to focus on more meaningful projects not being addressed
- Use reporting data to support carrier SLA rebate claims for latency and packet loss
- Determine to replace a particular carrier if you are constantly moving traffic off their facilities in favor of other providers; similarly, you can decide to upgrade or downgrade capacities with individual providers and negotiate pricing accordingly
These measures provide huge benefits in both TCO and Opex, therefore, clients are really surprised to learn the device has a typical ROI of less than 9 months.
Even clients addressing more technical issues as their priorities are generally able to take advantage of a number of these benefits as well.