Best Automated Cross-Browser Testing Tools
Best Automated Cross-Browser Testing Tools
One thing that is more important than a faster delivery of products is the browser compatibility of the site that visitors use to see your products.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
In this fast-paced software market, companies need to deliver products not just with quality but also at a rapid speed. If you are not providing the product according to customer requirements, then you might end up losing your reputation in the market. With the involvement of Agile practices, it has become highly crucial for organizations to meet the standards of software or web development.
One thing that is more important than a faster delivery of products is the browser compatibility of your business site that visitors use to see your products. If the web app isn’t compatible with the browser standards that people use to access your site, then they might not revisit your site.
You may also like: Automated Cross-Browser Testing
What Is Cross-Browser Compatibility Testing?
We have read various definitions of cross-browser testing over the internet, which clearly states that verifying the functionality of a web app across multiple browsers is known as cross-browser testing. It ensures that the website will provide the same experience to every user on different browsers and operating systems.
Earlier, cross-browser testing was carried out manually by a team of developers and testers by creating and executing test scripts for each browser individually, which used to be very time-consuming as well as costly because it requires multiple systems with various operating systems and browsers. Also, it was not possible to test all the browsers with manual testing.
With innovations in technology, businesses started automating the cross-browser testing of their web apps. Though automation was already incorporated in various organizations for cross-browser testing with the help of Selenium, it was not up to mark. Now, there are multiple cross-browser testing tools available in the market that make it much easier for testers to automate the cross-browser testing of web apps. But, choosing the best cross-browser testing tool is still a daunting task for many companies.
Here, we have enlisted the best automated cross-browser testing tools that can help you improve your browser testing in 2020.
Checklist For Using An Automation Testing Tool
Before selecting an automated cross-browser testing tool, it would be great to analyze which browsers you need to test on. If you have a history of visitors on your site, you can use that data to check the browsers that are mostly used to access your website.
Another great way to choose browsers is to examine the usage share of browsers provided by Wikipedia. After shortlisting the browsers that you want to test, you can select an automation tool for testing.
While executing cross-browser testing of your website, make sure you cover the following sections:
- HTML and CSS Validation.
- Page styles and date formats.
- Page layout in different resolutions.
- Ajax and jQuery functionality.
- All pictures and alignment.
- Page content alignment to the center left-hand side, and right-hand side.
Now, let’s have a look at the best automated cross-browser testing tools for 2020.
If there is one tool that is proliferating and has attained a significant position in the cross-browser testing tool market, then it is LambdaTest. Individuals who are passionate about web app quality and compatibility can use LambdaTest to test their web app across more than 2000 browsers, OS, and devices.
LambdaTest is a cloud-based automated testing tool that allows you to perform both live interactive manual cross-browser testing, as well as end-to-end automated tests with Selenium on a reliable and scalable cloud platform. Another significant advantage that you get with LambdaTest is that it enables enable you to cut down build times by executing the automated test scripts in parallel on the online selenium grid.
LambdaTest is designed to give users a seamless and integrated experience so that they can cut down overhead costs and focus on important stuff like developing innovative products quickly.
- Allow running selenium tests on a reliable Selenium grid with more than 2000 browsers and devices.
- Help to find bugs and defects in the code while testing the apps.
- It comes with an automated screenshot and responsive testing feature.
- Provides Chrome and WordPress extension for easy page testing.
- Compatible with bug tracking tools like Jira, GitHub, Trello, Slack, etc.
- Supports almost every programming language for testing.
LambdaTest is proudly used by more than 100k+ developers and testers that belong to big enterprises and startups. It also offers a lifetime free option for one concurrent session.
BrowserStack has turned out to be the best automated cross-browser testing tool for both mobile and web apps. It allows you to test your web apps across more than 2000 web browsers with different operating systems and devices. What’s unique about BrowserStack is that you can test your web app with two approaches — Live and Automate.
Live testing allows you to test your web app in real-time on a browser-device combination of your selection, whereas automate testing enables you to automate your cross-browser tests via Selenium. It even allows you to run your Selenium tests on the cloud with a simple approach.
- Debug your web app in real-time with the live testing option.
- Require zero maintenance and zero set up fee.
- Get instant access to 2000+ browsers, OS, and devices.
- Ideal for both manual and automated testing of your web app.
BrowserStack offers 100 minutes of free testing for your project. After that, you will have to purchase a plan.
3. CrossBrowser Testing by SmartBear
CrossBrowser Testing was an individual cloud testing platform, which was acquired by SmartBear around three years ago. This testing platform allows you to test your web app across 2050 real desktops and browsers. It also allows you to run your Selenium scripts, manual scripts, and visuals across a combination of various browsers, OS, and devices.
With the CrossBrowser Testing tool, you can test and debug your web app on live remote devices, view website compatibility on various browsers at once by using automated Selenium, Appium, or other testing frameworks.
- Allow testing locally hosted web apps across 2050 browsers and devices.
- Offers Record and Replay feature for creating automated tests with zero code.
- Allow running Selenium tests in your required programming language.
- Comes with full-page screenshot feature for all browsers and devices
You can even integrate apps into the CrossBrowser Testing tool to share test results and trigger notification automatically. It is available for seven days of the free trial.
It is another great tool provided by SmartBear, which enable you to create automated GUI test in one browser quickly and then execute them in parallel across a combination of 1500 browsers, operating system, and devices. It is the first cross-browser testing tool that comes with a visual recognition engine and hybrid object for testing every application in a behavior-driven style.
Being an automated UI testing software, allows testers to develop, maintain, and execute functional tests on desktop and mobile web apps. It even saves your time in creating and maintaining tests by classifying dynamic UI elements with AI-powered visual recognition.
- Comes with script-less Record and Replay feature for creating automated UI tests.
- Allow managing objects in a single repository, and then set it up locally.
- Test HTML/HTML5 components across all browsers with just one automated test script.
- It provides real-time information on test progress and status from a single interface.
TestComplete is available with a 30-days free trial that makes it the first choice of most testers.
5. Sauce Labs
Sauce Labs is another cloud-based web app testing platform that is known for providing quick testing services to large enterprises and open-source organizations. The Continuous Testing Cloud of Sauce Labs gives the users wide test coverage, analytics, and scalability that they require for delivering a flawless user experience on their site. One thing that most people don’t know about Sauce Labs is that the original creator of Selenium founded it.
Also, it supports more than 800 browsers, OS, and devices for both manual and automated testing for web apps. Sauce Labs is smoothly optimized for continuous integration, continuous delivery, and DevOps, which allow it to handle the most secure data from its customers.
- Test your site across 800+ browsers instantly.
- Get access to more than 200 mobile simulators and emulators.
- Provides both live testing and automated testing of web apps.
- Run your Selenium tests smoothly without any complication.
Sauce Labs offers a 14-days free trial for every user and widely used by large enterprises like Microsoft, Accenture, etc.
6. Ranorex Studio
If you are looking for an all-in-one automated testing tool that allows you to perform end-to-end testing on real devices or emulators/simulators, as well as test your web app across multiple browsers, OS, and devices, then Ranorex Studio is the ideal testing tool for you.
It is even compatible with cross-domain iframes, mix cross-desktop applications that are built with open-source Chromium Embedded Framework, and elements in a shadow DOM. Testers can collaborate and share reusable test automation modules with their team members while using Ranorex Studio.
- Quick and providing object identification of web elements.
- Track and analyze UI elements quickly on every platform using the Ranorex Spy.
- Capable of creating test automation scripts without writing any code.
- Allow creating flexible automation test scripts with standard programming languages.
- Easy integration with multiple tools like Jira, Jenkins, Travis CI, and many more.
- Provides customized test reports with video reporting of test execution.
Ranorex Studio offers a 30-days free trial for every user to test their web applications.
If you are looking for an automation tool that uses AI or machine learning algorithms for cross-browser testing of web apps, then Mabl is the only tool available in the market. It is the next-generation automation testing tool, which offers script-less browser testing.
Mabl provides a smooth experience for testers in testing the functionality of their web apps. It offers excellent support for popular browsers including Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and IE. It is even compatible with most of the scripting languages, which makes it even more efficient for automated cross-browser testing.
- Allow reusing tests across different browsers.
- Scale-up testing nodes in the cloud according to your needs.
- Offers real browser installation on virtual machines.
- Allow running tests in parallel continuously.
Mabl is available with a 14-days free trial for every tester.
Cross-browser testing is the basic need for delivering a quality product to users, and it requires your special attention. Though manual cross-browser testing of web apps has become old school now, automated cross-browser testing also requires special tools and techniques.
Here, we highlighted the best automated cross-browser testing tools based on various features, skills, and functionality they offer. So, you can select a tool that best matches your web app testing requirements.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.