Make sure you didn't miss anything with this list of the Best of the Week in the SQL Zone (April 03 - April 10). Here they are, in order of popularity:
- Sometimes you simply cannot avoid it: Pessimistic locking via SQL. In fact, it’s an awesome tool when you want to synchronise several applications on a shared, global lock. Some may think this is abusing the database. We think use the tools you have if they can solve the problem you have.
- Did you try to add a new index to your MySQL huge table and suffered from a downtime?
- Every day hundreds of millions of dollars are wasted by allowing improperly tuned or misconfigured systems, misunderstood infrastructure, and inefficient IT operations to live and thrive in data centers around the globe. There are both direct and indirect costs associated with allowing these unhealthy systems to continue to exist.
- MobileFirst Adapters are server-side components that connect your hybrid mobile application to other things. Those “things” being generally broken down into a few categories, and a few specific adapter types. The SQL adapter is, as you can guess, a connection to a database.
- My webinar “Multi-threaded Replication in MySQL 5.6 and 5.7″ on February 25 generated several excellent questions following the presentation. I didn’t have time to answer many of the questions during the session and so in this post I answer all of them.