Big App on Campus Student Competition from Microsoft
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Yet another competition for students from Microsoft. In partnership with The Gracious Few, Microsoft decided to offer a unique experience for ten students that will travel to Austin, TX for SXSW - they will be able to access a private concert, will have backstage passes, a private dinner with the band as well have an interview on the national radio about the applications they created. In addition to that, Microsoft is offering $15,000 in cash prizes (one for the top free app and another for the top paid app).
Who can participate?
If you are in the United States of America, are a student of an accredited university or college, and have skills building Windows Phone applications, then you are automatically eligible for the contest. Review the full rules here.
When does the contest run?
August 1, 2011 - February 14, 2012
I have an app that I want to submit. What do I do?
First of all, you need to register for DreamSpark and get an AppHub membership. Both are free for students, so you won't have to spend a penny on this as long as your student status is confirmed. Once done, submit your application here - given that it is already published in the Marketplace.
What are the deadlines?
- February 14, 2012 - deadline for all entries to be submitted
- February 15, 2012 - Round 1: Judging to select 20 semi-finalists
- February 23, 2012 - Round 2: Public voting to select 10 finalists
- March 1, 2012 - Round 3: Public voting to select Big App on Campus
How will the apps be judged?
- Innovation (40%): How innovative is the idea? Does it do something new or does it accomplish something in a new way?
- Experience (40%): Does it feel seamless and like a native experience on Windows Phone? Does the app have a polished feel?
- Potential (20%): Does the app have potential in the market (lots of users, making money, both) or not?
Need more information?
Visit the official Windows Phone blog.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.