The process of building a private cloud needs to start with the fundamentals, both conceptually and technically. This series intends to address both and goes through a process of forming the concepts, securing the fundamentals, examining what is under the hood, visualizing all with the abstraction. And ultimately extend existing on-premise establishments with off-premise deployments and take the best of both models with a hybrid scenario. The following is an outlook of the deliveries. And as a blog post is published everyday, the associated topic listed below is to be updated accordingly. I recommend bookmark this post and visit daily to walk through this process of building a private cloud. and make this month a breakthrough month of your learning and building a private cloud.
Week 1 – Private Cloud Foundation with Windows Server 2012
- What is a Private Cloud?
- Why Private Cloud?
- Build a Private Cloud Foundation - Overview
- Build a Private Cloud Foundation – Storage
- Build a Private Cloud Foundation – Networking
- Build a Private Cloud Foundation – Compute / Virtualization
Week 2 – Private Cloud Fabric with System Center 2012 SP1
- Deploy System Center 2012 SP1 Virtual Machine Manager
- Build Private Cloud Storage Fabric
- Build Private Cloud Data Center Network Fabric
- Build Private Cloud VM Network Fabric
Week 3 – Private Cloud with System Center 2012 SP1
- Configure Private Cloud Compute / Virtualization Fabric
- Zero-to-Cloud: From Bare Metal to Private Cloud Fabric
- Optimize Workload Placement with Dynamic and Power Optimization
- Manage Private Cloud Fabric Updates
- Creating and Delegating Private Clouds
Week 4 – Services in Private Cloud with System Center 2012 SP1
- Define VM Hardware Profiles
- Define VM Guest OS Profiles
- Define Application Profiles
- Define and Deploy VM Templates
- Define and Deploy Application Service Templates
Week 5 – Extending and Protecting Private Cloud
- Scaling Private Cloud Applications
- Extend Your Private Cloud with Windows Azure Virtual Networks
- Protect Your Private Cloud Workloads with System Center 2012 SP1 Data Protection Manager
- Manage your Hybrid / Private Cloud Infrastructure with System Center 2012 SP1 App Controller
Windows Server 2012 and System Center 2012 SP1 Now
Microsoft private cloud solutions are based on the basic building block, Windows Server 2012, and the comprehensive management solution, System Center 2012 SP1. Both presents key enabling technologies in building and extending a private cloud. IT professionals must recognize the urgency of mastering these two major technical components for maintaining relevancy in Microsoft infrastructure going forward.