Cloud, Innovation, and Updates From Google Next 2018 [Podcast]
Get caught up on the latest news from Google Next and tips for those who work in the cloud as well as those working on cloud native apps.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Joining us this week is Ian Rae, CEO and Founder CloudOps who recorded the podcast during the Google Next conference in 2018.
- 1 min 55 sec: Define Cloud from a CloudOps perspective
- Business Model and an Operations Model
- 3 min 59 sec: Update from Google Next 2018 event
- Google is the “Engineer’s Cloud”
- Google’s approach vs Amazon approach in feature design/release
- 9 min 55 sec: Early Amazon ~ no easy button
- Amazon educated the market as industry leader
- 12 min04 sec: What is the state of Hybrid? Do we need it?
- Complexity of systems leads to private, public as well as multiple cloud providers
- Open source enabled workloads to run on various clouds even if the cloud was not designed to support a type of workload
- Google’s strategy is around open source in the cloud
- 14 min 12 sec: IBM visibility in open source and cloud market
- Didn’t build cloud services (e.g. open a ticket to remap a VLAN)
- 16 min 40 sec: OpenStack tied to compete on service components
- Couldn’t compete without Product Managers to guide developers
- Missed last mile between technology and customer
- Didn’t want to take on the operational aspects of the customer
- 19 min 31 sec: Is innovation driven from listening to customers vs developers doing what they think is best?
- OpenStack is seen as legacy as customers look for Cloud Native Infrastructure
- OpenStack vs Kubernetes install time significance
- 22 min 44 sec: Google announcement of GKE for on-premises infrastructure
- Not really On-premise; more like Platform9 for OpenStack
- GKE solve end user experience and operational challenges to deliver it
- 26 min 07 sec: Edge IT replaces what is On-Premises IT
- Bullish on the future with Edge computing
- 27 min 27 sec: Who delivers control plane for edge?
- Recommends Open Source in control plan
- 28 min 29 sec: Current tech hides the infrastructure problems
- Someone still has to deal with the physical hardware
- 30 min 53 sec: Commercial driver for rapid Edge adoption
- 32 min 20 sec: CloudOps building software / next generation of BSS or OSS for telco
- Meet the needs of the cloud provider for flexibility in generating services with the ability to change the service backend provider
- Amazon is the new Win32
- 38 min 07 sec: Can customers install their own software? Will people buy software anymore?
- Compare payment models from Salesforce and Slack
- Google allowing customers to run their technology themselves of allow Google to manage it for you
- 40 min 43 sec: Wrap-Up
Podcast Guest: Ian Rae, CEO and Founder CloudOps
Ian Rae is the founder and CEO of CloudOps, a cloud computing consulting firm that provides multi-cloud solutions for software companies, enterprises and telecommunications providers. Ian is also the founder of cloud.ca, a Canadian cloud infrastructure as a service (IaaS) focused on data residency, privacy and security requirements. He is a partner at Year One Labs, a lean startup incubator, and is the founder of the Centre cloud.ca in Montreal. Prior to clouds, Ian was responsible for engineering at Coradiant, a leader in application performance management.
Published at DZone with permission of Stephen Spector, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.