Cloud Technology Impact on Big Enterprises
Cloud Technology Impact on Big Enterprises
It's almost like cloud was made for business.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Technology is advancing in leaps and bounds and is rapidly transforming almost every aspect of our life. Cloud technology is a major shift from conventional computing technologies and is impacting businesses of all sizes immensely. For big enterprises, however, its impact is highly positive. Before discussing the cloud technology’s benefits for big enterprises, it is important to know, what is actually meant by the term.
What Is Cloud Computing?
Cloud technology, or cloud computing, in its simplest terms, denotes the delivery of computer system resources (hardware, software, analytics, databases, intelligence, and networking, etc.) through the internet. The word "cloud" is used as a metaphor for the internet because, traditionally, the internet has always been described as a cloud in all flow charts.
A very good definition of cloud computing has been furnished by the National Institute of Standards and Technology which reads, “Cloud computing is a model for enabling convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources, that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction.”
According to the deployment model, cloud computing can be divided into four types, which are explained below:
- Public: The customer does not have any physical control over its infrastructure, because it is located entirely on the premises of a cloud computing company.
- Private: These clouds provide similar benefits as in the case of the public cloud, but infrastructure is not shared, because it is used by one customer or organization.
- Hybrid: As the name suggests, it uses both private and public clouds.
- Community cloud: Infrastructure is shared between organizations. For example, a country’s government can have a community cloud.
How Does Cloud Technology Impact Big Enterprises?
The cloud computing technology offers great and amazing benefits for big enterprises, some of which I will discuss here.
If the business has its own data center, the need to have additional computing resources incurs too much cost as it has to configure and install a new server. If demand was for the short-term only, the business may find itself in an odd situation because its resources get redundant.
Cloud computing inherently resolves the issue of scalability because when there is unexpected traffic to a website, it will instantly enhance its computing capacity for paying some extra amount for the duration of using enhanced computing capability only.
Focus On Innovation
Cloud computing frees big enterprises from concerns aobut technical aspects of processing their huge data. Their priorities, therefore, shift and innovation gains importance for them. According to an IBM study entitled, "Beyond Agility: How Cloud Is Driving Enterprise Innovation,” 71% of companies indicate they are cloud-enabled innovators. The study also guides enterprises what actions they can take to become a cloud-enabled innovator. Some of their recommendations are given below:
- Capitalize on cCloud’s capability to develop customer interactions that are tailored individually for different user preferences.
- Develop and deploy new products and services by leveraging Cloud’s alertness to anticipate the customer’s needs.
- Adopt a cloud that facilitates entry into a new market or industry.
Greater Flexibility For The Workforce:
The cloud computing environment, owing to its internet-based operations, allows the staff of big enterprises to work with more flexible schedules.They can work remotely or from their homes. Staff can collaborate with each other by sharing synchronized files through web-enabled devices.
The enhanced flexibility in working conditions results in reduced operating costs because enterprises can reduce office spaces.
Security is a primary beneficiary of cloud computing. According to a survey done by Quotecolo in 2015, 94% of business executives said that their security improved markedly after adopting cloud computing. The reasons why cloud applications boost enterprise security are as follows:
- Cloud computing service providers have stringent firewalls and great security protocols.
- Their offsite applications are stored at physically secured places under a monitoring regime, 24/7/365.
- The servers and hardware are not under the control of business enterprises. With a very robust data security mechanism that cloud computing companies mandates for them, breach of security is highly unlikely.
Cloud Computing Is Futuristic
The huge amount of data and information which big enterprises generate will grow exponentially in the future. Cloud computing is exceptional in dealing with massive data. Its great and powerful data analytics also facilitate to plan for longer terms and future business development as well. Since big enterprises have sufficient resources for carrying out effective long-term planning, they get the most benefits from cloud computing.
Unlike on-premise servers which are not turned off in the evening, on holidays, or weekends, cloud computing servers do not face the issue of under-utilization because you only pay for what you use. Since businesses are not involved in the hassles of maintenance of their in-house servers their operating cost is reduced. Besides, the cloud, by increasing the speed of your decision-making process and planning impact your operating cost in a positive manner.
So far as the cost of cloud computing service itself is concerned, thanks to current marketing tool of discounts and coupons, there are great saving opportunities. Businesses can find fabulous codes on coupon sites and websites of cloud computing companies. I have come across codes for Linux and Windows servers, VPs, cloud servers, and cash back coupons.
Strategic Competitive Edge
Cloud computing is a high profile and state-of-the-art technology that an edge to big enterprises that is missed by those competitors who are not equipped with it. This allows enterprises to forget about IT issues and focus on their core business.
The cloud also makes enterprises efficient, positively impacting their forecasting and budgetary planning. Better planning coupled with better implementation gives all big enterprises a definitive edge over their competitors.
Latest Trends and Stats About Cloud Computing
Organizations are increasingly incorporating it in order to catalyze their process of digital transformation. The latest Gartner report reveals that the digital technologies market's projected growth rate in 2019 will be 17.3% with a volume of $206 billion, against $175.8 billion in 2018. The report has also predicted that by 2022, 90% of the organizations will be using cloud computing services.
According to The Hosting Tribunal, the cloud infrastructure expenditure of $55 billion in 2018 surpassed $80 billion in 2018. The global public cloud computing market revenue will reach $258 billion in 2019, whereas in 2017, it was $154 billion. All these figures confirm one thing: cloud technology is booming.
Trends In 2019
Certain important and worth mentioning trends related to cloud computing are given below:
- Global adoption will continue. Amazon and Microsoft have set an example for others as both these giants have experienced phenomenal growth by adopting cloud computing technology.
- Data requirements will be the leading factor for adoption. This is an evident trend since 2017 and companies are still adopting this technology for data management and analytics.
- More hybrid and multi-cloud solutions will evolve: It is likely that hybrid will be a prevailing trend in 2019 and beyond because organizations are reluctant to the public model because everything cannot and should not be shifted to a public cloud computing model. Organizations are also showing increasing interest to have more than one model at the same time. Therefore, multi-cloud is the next target for the cloud computing industry.
- Edge computing will gain momentum. Unlike the previous data processing scenario which was mainly centralized, the current trend is edge computing is a decentralization paradigm wherein data can be processed at the sites of devices.
- Containers are an emerging trend that will grow faster: Containers boost the data portability process and its security. The user can get third-party data more quickly and easily and bring that data in and consume it more efficiently. In nutshell, containers are like wrappers, in which software is packed and transported.
Cloud computing is a technology that is future-oriented and big businesses reap amazing positive advantages by adopting it. It is really difficult to identify factors which make cloud computing a true game changer. This is because its scope of advantages is wide and it has an enterprise-wide spectrum. However, for me, its infinite computing power, very strong analytical capabilities, and user-centricity are amazing attributes which make it a must-have technology for all big enterprises.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.