Date: October 22, 2014
By: Aaron Delp and Brian Gracely
Description: Brian talks with Andrew Kennedy (@grkvlt) Senior Software Engineer at Cloudsoft about the creation of Apache Brooklyn, "Clocker", and a modern approach to building applications on clouds that span Docker containers, VMs, Bare Metal and multiple cloud environments (AWS, OpenStack, Softlayer, etc.).
- Announcement from Cloudsoft - http://www.cloudsoftcorp.com/blog/2014/06/clocker-creating-a-docker-cloud-with-apache-brooklyn/ MeetUp Talk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZJnpORS6zE
- Clocker on Github - http://brooklyncentral.github.io/clocker/
- #BrooklynCentral on IRC
Topic 1 - Background on Andrew and CloudSoft (interesting that innovation is coming from outside the vendor community)
Topic 2 - Docker + Brooklyn + jClouds
Topic 3 - Lots of Docker projects getting started these days. Give us an overview of Clocker and what's the motivation to start a new project vs. using existing tools?
Topic 3a - What extra features does Clocker add to Docker?
- Demand side
- Brooklyn automation, example of Docker host cluster scaling policy for availability and HA policies for container resilience and restarting
- Brooklyn application deployment
- Supply side
- Intelligent placement of containers
Topic 3b - Give an example of these placement strategies?
- Breadth or depth first
- CPU and RAM resource management and allocation
- Affinity rules for entity co-location
- CPU usage to allow performance management
- Deterministic solution to resource optimisation
Topic 4 - The first I heard about Apache Brooklyn was when Clocker was announced. Talk about that project, community involvement.
Topic 5 - With so many additional Docker-related projects happening (networking, stateful containers, etc.), how broader to do expect Clocker to expand?
Topic 6 - Clocker can work across multiple Clouds (private & public) and interacts with jClouds as a broker across clouds. Talk about how that interaction works? What happens if the cloud doesn't natively support Docker (eg. AWS, OpenStack)?
Topic 6a - How can I use Clocker with my applications?
- Any CAMP blueprint
- Any Brooklyn entities or applications
Topic 6b - Can I use Docker Hub or other Docker registries like Artifactory or quay.io?
- Existing Dockerfile and from docker-library GitHub checkout
- Direct push and pull coming soon
Topic 7- What are the next big steps that you’re focused on, and where are you hoping for significant community support?