The Cloudcast #178 - DevOps Defined Networking with Socketplane
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Date: January 30, 2015
By: Aaron Delp and Brian Gracely
Description: Aaron and Brian talk with John Willis (@botchagalupe, Founder/VP Customer Enablement @Socketplane) about DevOps, the Docker Ecosystem and what Socketplane is doing about SDN for Docker/Containers. Music Credit: Nine Inch Nails (www.nin.com)
Krispy Kreme Donations - http://www.razoo.com/story/Team-Cloudcast-1
- Socketplane Homepage - http://socketplane.io/
- Socketplane on GitHub - https://github.com/socketplane
- Native Docker Multi-Host Networking - https://github.com/socketplane/socketplane/wiki/Native-Docker-Multi-Host-Networking-Proposal
- Socketplane Demo #1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukITRl58ntg
- Socketplane Demo #2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uzUSk3NjD0
- John’s Podcast - "DevOps Cafe" - http://devopscafe.org/
- The New Stack - "SDN, Docker and Changes Ahead" - http://thenewstack.io/sdn-docker-real-changes-ahead
Topic 1 - You’ve obviously been talking about DevOps for many, many years. The last 12-18 months you sort of shifted that focus on the infrastructure-as-code space. So what drew you to SDN and Container Networking?
Topic 2 - What are the big issues and differences between VM networking and Container networking?
Topic 3 - Give us the Basics on Socketplane.
Topic 4 - As I was watching the tech preview demos, I noticed as much non-Socketplane as I did Socketplane (Vagrant, Consul, Docker, OVS, GitHub). Does that just come native because you’re built around Docker, or is that a Socketplane thing, or just a Linux thing?
Topic 5 - Container SDN is becoming a popular space (Socketplane, Weave, CoreOS/Flannel), but still seems to fly under the radar of the big networking companies. Are there major architectural differences, or just how integrated or separated implementations are from a stack?
Topic 6 - What does it mean when people talk about “wrapping Docker”?Topic 7 - Is there a Docker Ecosystem for the L4-7 services yet? Or is that just the native Linux tools (eg. HA Proxy) in containers?
- Creating a Network Community for Networking’s New Operating Model - Jason Edelman (@jedelman8)
- “Prometheus” - Monitoring Docker Containers at Scale - from SoundCloud
Published at DZone with permission of Brian Gracely, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.