The Cloudcast - OpenStack, PaaS, Automation, and News
The Cloud Zone is brought to you in partnership with Mendix. Better understand the aPaaS landscape and how the right platform can accelerate your software delivery cadence and capacity with the Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Application Platform as a Service.
Date: March 10, 2013
By: Aaron Delp and Brian Gracely
Description: Aaron and Brian talk about a very busy couple weeks in the Cloud Computing industry, including news about OpenStack, PaaS platforms, APIs, new tools for AWS, new start-ups and a strange name change.
- VMware Partner Exchange
Where will we be over the next couple months
BG: Keynote at AITP-RTP, Varrow Madness, Structure Data (NYC)
AD: Varrow Madness, OpenStack Summit (blogging and podcasts), Session at Interop
- enStratus changes their name to Enstratius
- IBM Makes a Big Announcement Supporting OpenStack for their cloud offerings
- Rackspace enhances their Private Cloud offering - “OpenCenter”
- OpenStack Operations Guide (Written in a Week!) - I haven’t read in depth (yet) but appears to be a nice almost 200 page document
- Apprenda announces JPMC; Pivotal announces Cloud Foundry is for sale
- AnsibleWorks launches
- AWS launch tools to kill their ecosystem (OpsWorks (automation), Trusted Advisor (billing)); new Premier AWS partners - Are they starting to eat their ecosystem?
- Netflix closes up their API - Twitter did it, Netflix is doing it, what if AWS did it? Trend seems to be to release the API for a community to build and accelerate to market, then remove once you reach a critical mass
- Class Action Lawsuit against Heroku - When I think startup, I don’t think reliability and stability, I think “could go out of business or be bought at any moment”. Are we starting to expect “Enterprise grade” from startups?
- Massimo fires back on Randy Bias - While not an “official VMware response”, Massimo wrote back to Randy’s interesting blog post against VMware