DataNucleus AccessPlatform 2.1.0 has just been released. AccessPlatform provides access to a range of datastores for Java applications using JDO/JPA API's, as well as providing a REST API. It is fully compliant with JDO1, JDO2, JDO2.1, JDO2.2, JDO3, JPA1, and JPA2 specifications. It currently supports persistence to RDBMS, ODBMS (db4o, NeoDatis), Documents (XML, Excel, ODF, OOXML), Web-based (JSON, Amazon S3, GoogleStorage), Map-based(HBase, Cassandra, BigTable, MongoDB) as well as some others (LDAP).
AccessPlatform additionally allows configuration of classes to be persisted using JDO annotations/XML/API or JPA annotations/XML providing access to both JDO and JPA persistence APIs regardless of which configuration method was chosen, offering flexibility not seen in any other persistence tool. Querying of the supported datastores can be performed using JDOQL, JPQL or SQL (dependent on the datastore). By making use of standardised APIs, the process of swapping persistence from one datastore to another is a simple URL change when specifying the datastore. AccessPlatform is made up of a series of OSGi compliant jars, and can be utilised in J2SE, J2EE, or OSGi container environments. By using OSGi together with Eclipse extension-points, DataNucleus is highly extensible so if you wanted to provide support for your own datastore then this would be a relatively simple procedure. AccessPlatform is licensed under the flexible Apache 2 license.
DataNucleus Access Platform 2.1 provides the following over and above what DataNucleus 2.0 provides :-
- Support for persistence to OOXML documents
- Support for persistence to GoogleStorage
- Support for persistence of javax.time and some Google Collections types
- Changed to use rewritten JDOQL implementation for RDBMS by default. This makes many more JDOQL statements runnable than were previously possible, and many queries are now more optimised
- Uses JDO3 "final" jar
- Uses JPA2 "final" jar
- Supports full JPA2 definition of JPQL
- Supports JPA2 static metamodel creation
- Supports JPA2 orphan removal
- Support for embedded PC objects with Excel persistence
- Support for using spatial methods in queries with the new JDOQL implementation for RDBMS
- Support for BoneCP RDBMS connection pooling library
- Many bug fixes, and minor feature additions.
Documentation is available to view online (HTML) or available to download (HTML/PDF).
Thanks to NightLabs for their continued hosting, and to SourceForge for source code repositories. Finally, thanks to everyone who has helped in the development of AccessPlatform 2.1 over the last 6 months.