DataNucleus AccessPlatform 2.2.0 Released
DataNucleus AccessPlatform 2.2.0 has just been released. AccessPlatform provides access to a range of datastores for Java applications using JDO/JPA API's. It is a fully compliant implementation of JDO1, JDO2, JDO2.1, JDO2.2, JDO3, JPA1, and JPA2. It currently supports persistence to RDBMS, ODBMS (db4o, NeoDatis), Documents (XML, Excel, ODF, OOXML), Web-based (JSON, Amazon S3, GoogleStorage), Map-based (HBase, BigTable, Cassandra, MongoDB) datastores, as well as some others (LDAP). AccessPlatform additionally allows configuration of classes to be persisted using JDO annotations/XML/API or JPA annotations/XML providing access to both JDO and JPA persistence APIs regardless of which configuration method was chosen, offering flexibility not seen in any other persistence tool. Querying of the supported datastores can be performed using JDOQL, JPQL or SQL (dependent on the datastore). By making use of standardised APIs, the process of swapping persistence from one datastore to another is a simple URL change when specifying the datastore. AccessPlatform is made up of a series of OSGi compliant jars, and can be utilised in J2SE, J2EE, or OSGi container environments. By using OSGi together with Eclipse extension-points, DataNucleus is highly extensible so if you wanted to provide support for your own datastore then this would be a relatively simple procedure. DataNucleus Access Platform is licensed under the flexible Apache 2 license.
DataNucleus Access Platform 2.2 provides the following over and above what DataNucleus 2.1 provides :-
- Many improvements to L2 caching, particularly of relation fields
- Various improvements to connection handling for performance
- Improved support for persisting containers with null elements
- JDO : Support for column position specification
- JDO : Support for a Typesafe query API, providing a much more elegant API than JPA Criteria
- JDO : Support for bulk update/delete (vendor extension)
- JPA : More complete JPA2 implementation, providing remaining methods
- JPA : Support for fetch groups (vendor extension)
- RDBMS : Provide bundled repackaged connection pool (DBCP)
- RDBMS : Support for N-1 uni join table relation
- RDBMS : Drop legacy JDOQL implementation
- Other datastores : Support for cascade delete
- Many many bug fixes, and minor feature additions.
Documentation is available to view online (HTML) or available to download (HTML/PDF). Limited free support for AccessPlatform is provided by way of our forum. Commercial support and consulting is also provided. Thanks to NightLabs for their continued hosting, and to SourceForge for source code repositories. Finally, thanks to everyone who has helped in the development of DataNucleus AccessPlatform 2.2 over the last 6 months.