Dev of the Week: Swathi Venkatachala
FUSE on Amazon S3
Starfish: A Hadoop Performance Tuning Tool
Hi Swathi! Thanks for talking to us. What have you been working on lately?
I've been working mostly on Apache Hadoop and its ecosystem these days.
You keep an art blog as well as writing about technology. What artistic media do you prefer, and does your work with technology influence your art?
Arts and crafts have been my hobbies since childhood. My art blog isn't updated much, but going forward I'll be posting some cool abstract art. I love abstract art and I strongly believe that art does influence technology by widening horizons in terms of creativity, neatness, tidiness, forethought, etc. Technology influencing art, however I've yet to discover. :)
Now that 2012 is almost done, what do you think were some of the most exciting developments in the world of big data this year?
- The year of 2012, known as the year of "Big Data" kick started with great conferences like Strata, across the world.
- Many organizations who already had enormous amount of archived data, but lacked the ability to perform computation upon it, have generated huge revenue, by the adoption of Apache Hadoop and its ecosystem and trying to tame it. In the course of exploring/ experiencing, there is a lot of influx in the open source community. Apache Hadoop and its ecosystem are trying to reach its maturity.
- Lots of startups flourished in this year, creating a new product, analysing data and playing with dashboards.
- An umbrella category of NoSQL is trending for processing real data with the concept of key-value stores and columnar databases. Companies like Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Cloudera etc. have contributed tremendously in this regard. Most of the frameworks are open sourced.
- Many organisations have opted cloud based solutions to store and process the data. All these have created huge job calls.
- Open data concept is getting wide spread.
- Statisticians are gaining huge scope with the elegance of mathematics like prediction modelling, recommendation engines etc. Data scientists : next hottest job.
What are you looking forward to in 2013?
- It's still the dawn of data science. There is huge amount of paradox of information. In the modern scientific arsenal, big data, data mining and machine learning are very important tools. There's a lot of revolution yet to happen.
- There's a tapestry of opinions in this Zone of Big Data. Personally, I'm looking forward for a revolution, for the year 2013, in terms of Health Science, security, and data privacy.