Difference Between DNS Over TLS and DNS Over HTTPS
Explaining the difference between DNS over TLS and DNS over HTTPS, and the advantages and disadvantages of adopting them.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
What Is DNS?
DNS stands for Domain Name System. This is the system that includes domain names. DNS includes essential information like records in the form of text. Email server information, domain names, domain ownership, etc. DNS works like a phone book. You can see the phone number from the DNS phone book if you know the name of the person. The important function which is done by DNS is providing internet services to the protocols.
The records of DNS are stored in the DNS name server. The data specification with technical functionality specifies by DNS. There are two types of DNS services named as Authoritative DNS and Recursive DNS. This is a very important security and privacy part for business and the consumer both. DNS is just the internet address book. The working of the internet depends upon the DNS protocol.
What Is TLS?
TLS stands for Transport Layer Security. The TLS is mainly used for online communication and transaction. It gives communication security to the protocols which are doing work. This will secure the data and information while communicating through online mode.
The methods of communication like emails, messages, etc., are secured by TLS. TLS protects websites’ information and data by providing encryption. The main aim of TLS is to provide security and protection to the website information and data. The TLS only secures the data which is being delivered or transfer via communication means. It does protect the data in the end system.
What Is HTTPS?
HTTPS stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure. The HTTPS uses an encrypted connection to communicate. The HTTPS makes the web server secure. HTTPS helps the user and makes the trust that he/she opens the correct website. The website is secure and not malicious. If the person is using the bank website, then HTTPS helps to secure your information. HTTPS helps the browser to detect if any data which the browser receives has changed by the attacker or not.
This will give protection in transferring money from the bank’s website. The HTTPS secure your information on the original place and due to HTTPS attacker cannot attack your website and change the information. In this HTTPS helps to secure the information of sending and receiving content of the user. HTTPS prevents the attacker from stealing the browser’s request.
DNS Over TLS
DNS over TLS is a security protocol. This will encrypt and protect the queries related to the Domain Name system and solve the queries via TLS protocol. DNS over TLS provides privacy between DNS clients and DNS server. DNS over TLS is collectively known as DoT. The DoT gives high protection and encryption to the information and resolves the DNS queries. The unwanted and stranger details are stopped by DoT and will not be able to hack by attacker any information and data on the website.
How Does DNS Over TLS Work?
The working of DNS over TLS is very easy and simple. DNS over TLS establishes a better connection between DNS clients and DNS servers. The major role of DNS over TLS is to provide protection and encryption to the DNS data and information at the time of communication or transfer the details.
- DNS over the TLS server version starts with session initiation. The DNS over TLS needs to accept the Port 853 TCP connection. While doing this and using DoT all the TCP connection should be secure and encrypted. This is essential for securing and protecting the data while using DNS over TLS.
- The authentication process will be done for a TLS connection. After connection with the DNS clients, the process of TLS handshake and authentication will begin with the DNS servers. Once there will be a connection develop between DNS clients and DNS server then complete encryption will be done.
DNS Over HTTPS
DNS over HTTPS is in a combination known as DoH. This is the protocol that resolves the DNS queries by using the HTTPS protocol. The main aim of DoH is to raise the privacy and security of the information so that it will not be attacked by an attacker. The HTTPS protocol in DoH uses to encrypt the data between DNS clients and DoH based DNS resolver. In 2018 Google and Mozilla started using DoH for encrypting their data and information. This is the booster that will increase the privacy and security of the website. No third person will able to grab your website information if you are using DNS over HTTPS protocol.
Google is the first site using DNS over HTTPS protocol. This will provide more encryption and security for the user and the organization both. Some organizations still not believing in using DNS over HTTPS because it is still a new protocol. Some public DNS providers implement DNS over HTTPS for free. There is different software which is supporting DNS over HTTPS named as Firefox, YogaDNS, Acrylic DNS proxy, Opera, Chrome, and Nebula. This technology is not accepted by everyone and till now experiments are going on.
Advantage of Adopting DoH
- DoH protocol helps to increase the privacy and security of the website and information.
- DoH will solve the issue very easily and in less time.
- The security and encryption will be provided in the whole organization if you implement the right DoH protocol and properly.
- You can test the compatibility DNS over the HTTPS protocol.
Disadvantages of Adopting DoH
- DoH will block your system if it is not experiencing this type of security software earlier.
- This will also block all the queries or solve queries by giving false solutions.
Alternative Use of DoH
- DoH proxy is the name of which you can install and use it in your local network. When you send unencrypted DNS data within the local network then that server will resolve your query by using DNS over HTTPS protocol.
- The DoH proxy can be run and function on the same system in which you are using the browser. By doing this the local network attacker cannot able to hack your information and data from the website.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.
Effortlessly Streamlining Test-Driven Development and CI Testing for Kafka Developers
Never Use Credentials in a CI/CD Pipeline Again
5 Key Concepts for MQTT Broker in Sparkplug Specification
Seven Steps To Deploy Kedro Pipelines on Amazon EMR