Do you need an Internet Lawyer?
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
In today's mass media and digital world, internet lawyers could prove indispensable for your business. Almost all companies, big or small, transact business via the Internet, or at least have some sort of a presence on the World Wide Web. Even though the Internet is widely popular all over the world, many entrepreneurs do not know what is and is not allowed on the Internet, and how to go about operating their business legally and ethically. In such instances, consulting a local internet lawyer is the most appropriate solution.
One can come across many different legal issues on the internet. You could be facing many issues on the web, where you will need to hire an Internet lawyer. The Internet has its own set of unique rules and regulations, and it is not easy to figure out the legal implications various activities can have on your business. An online entrepreneur or simply a website owner can face various issues that can include:
1. Problem with Your Domain Name: With so many websites on the Internet, it is easy to get into copyright violation while choosing a domain name. On the other hand, you could come across a website that has a domain name quite similar to yours.
2. Intellectual Property and Copyright Infringement: It is very easy to copy stuff off the Internet, and therefore it is always a challenging task to protect your intellectual property. Secondly, you could also inadvertently get into trouble when somebody else accuses you of copyright infringement.
3. Privacy Issues: You will be conducting email-marketing campaigns and there are chances you could be facing issues concerning spamming and other privacy violations.
3. Defamation Issues: Even though Internet is supposed to be the most free channel for expressing opinions, you could still get into trouble if you provide wrong or untrue information about someone or something.
4. Censorship Issues: Your website could be facing censorship due to certain violations, which can prove very costly for your business.
5. Business Regulations: Regulations for conducting business on the Internet are quite different and it is easy to violate some rule unknowingly.
How can an Internet Lawyer Help You?
An experienced Internet lawyer, like CohenSchneider.com, will be able to help you conduct your online business more efficiently and will be able to solve any legal issues you might be facing. Here are some of the important things an Internet lawyer can do for you.
- Draft or review contracts and agreements with hosting companies, web designers, Internet marketers, or any online service providers
- Help you in selecting an effective domain name that will not violate any copyrights
- Help protect and manage your online reputation and brand image
- Write effective warning letters to desist others from infringing on your copyright or intellectual property
- Help in drafting terms of service and privacy policies for your websites
- Help settle disputes concerning domain names and brand names
- Help in formulating company policies for protecting intellectual property and other items on the website
- Help settle disputes involving online business transactions, return of goods, and so on
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.