e4 Contacts Demo
e4 Contacts Demo
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Get the Edge with a Professional Java IDE. 30-day free trial.
Recently I contributed my e4 contacts demo to the e4 (e4 = Eclipse 4) cvs repository. Goal of the demo is to give good examples for e4 RCP related topics, like
- CSS based styling and theming
- Modeling the application UI skeleton
(menu, toolbar, parts, commands, handlers, …)
- Data binding everywhere
- Product branding (not started yet)
- Co-hosting using p2 (self-update, not started yet)
Here is a screenshot of the application using a dark css based theme:
And here the same application using a brighter css based theme:
The styling is pretty simple right now, I will enhance it using textures and gradients as soon as these features are implemented. The next screenshot shows the EMF based UI model of the application (workbench) skeleton:
Modeling the application workbench UI like this is very easy and straight forward. Rather than dealing with complex layouts programmatically or using extension points you can get a decent application skeleton quickly.
How to get and run the demo?
- Install the latest Eclipse 3.5 SDK (currently 3.5RC1)
- Install the latest EMF SDK
- Open the cvs repository:
- Check out the project e4/releng
- Import the following team project sets
- After having imported all the necessary projects from cvs, open project org.eclipse.e4.demo.contacts/contacts.product
- In the Overview tab of the configuration editor, click “Launch an Eclipse Application”
- Now the contacts demo shoud start with the dark css theming
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.