Enhanced CDN Increases Website Performance and Security
We sat down with an executive from Distil, whose Secure CDN includes 25 PoPs, 36 terabits of capacity, and DDoS protection.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Thanks to Edward Roberts, Director of Product Marketing at Distil Networks for taking me through the upgrades made to its Content Delivery Network (CDN), which will protect customers against volumetric DDoS attacks, while dramatically increasing overall website performance. Customers can now deploy the Distil Bot Defense Platform on the Distil Secure CDN in minutes, offloading server strain to 25 global locations, and gaining enterprise-grade DDoS protection at no extra cost.
“We understand faster websites lead to improved SEO, increased conversion rates and happier users, which is why we are committed to providing a superior CDN to our global customer base,” said Rami Essaid, CEO and co-founder of Distil Networks. “The Distil Secure CDN continues to be the fastest method for deploying our world-class bot defense platform, and now includes improved content acceleration and volumetric DDoS protection, all for one price.”
With a DNS change, customers can deploy Distil Bot Defense to deliver accurate protection from web scraping, account takeover, online fraud, spam, API abuse, skewed analytics, downtime and digital ad fraud. In addition, increased scalability allows users to offload heavy parts of their websites onto Distil’s 25 global servers, which meet PCI compliance standards.
What’s included in the Distil Secure CDN:
- Accelerated Content Delivery – World-class content delivery network (CDN) with fast performance that provides an efficient and reliable user experience to websites globally.
- DDoS Protection – Always enterprise-grade volumetric DDoS protection, which includes automated DDoS technology, a 24/7 anti-DDoS emergency response team, origin cloaking and HTTP rate limiting for defense against layer 3 and layer 4 attacks.
- Distil Bot Defense Platform – Industry-leading bot defense that protects all inroads – website, mobile, and API.
Features of the Content Delivery Network include:
- Patented Smart Self-Healing Network – Designed to automate network failovers instantly by allowing edge servers to perform self-diagnostics and execute self-healing without human intervention.
- 3,000+ Global Interconnections – Interconnects with carriers and ISPs to expand global footprint and ensure content delivery with minimal latency.
- Global Anycast-based Routing – Provides a more efficient, accurate way to locate users and deliver content from the best edge server, ensuring optimal user experience.
- Super PoP Architecture – Designed for today’s internet topology for improved performance with superior server-to-delivery ratio and over 95 percent cache-hit ratio.
- Horizontally Scalable PoP Architecture – Linear and horizontal scaling with edge cloud clusters and proprietary L7 load balancing to allow for greater scalability.
- Centralized Distribution Topology – Topology that places massive computing power and high-bandwidth capacity at centralized locations to deliver more from cache within a smaller footprint to achieve the best server-to-delivery ratio.
- Fault-tolerant Design – Technology, combined with centralized architecture, established to tolerate disk, server, rack or datacenter failure without user impact.
Features of DDoS Protection include:
- Automated DDoS Technology – Intelligent real-time monitoring algorithms automatically identify and mitigate malicious activity; massive capacity absorbs even the largest attacks.
- 24/7 Anti-DDoS Emergency Response Team – Mitigates 99 percent of attacks within 60 seconds of identification.
- Origin Cloaking – Defends website origin even if other layers of security are bypassed.
- HTTP Rate Limiting – Protection from HTTP flood attacks with granular HTTP Rate Limiting.
“Turning to Distil Secure CDN was an easy decision that has allowed us to increase site speed by 40 percent,” said Antoine Zammit, VP of Technology at iCruise.com. “With new capabilities that include volumetric DDoS protection, we are confident that Distil’s comprehensive coverage will keep our website, mobile app, and APIs up-and-running with ease while providing the accurate bad bot protection that we have grown to rely on.”
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.