Enhancing Software Quality With Exploratory Testing!
Enhancing Software Quality With Exploratory Testing!
Learn about the importance of exploratory software testing, how to get started, and in which cases it's most critical.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
DevOps involves integrating development, testing, deployment and release cycles into a collaborative process. Learn more about the 4 steps to an effective DevSecOps infrastructure.
Exploratory testing is termed as synchronized learning, test design, and test execution. The test cases are not formed in advance done, yet are done simultaneously. The testers make use of collected information from the execution of this first set of tests to conduct the next set of tests. This type of testing is extremely useful in the cases where the test cases to be run can’t be determined in advance, a situation that frequently emerges in the beginning period of product development when the application is not steady and is inclined to changes.
When to Do It
This type of testing is beneficial in all of the cases where the testing situations can’t be determined in advance, similar to the succeeding cases:
- When the product is in an early stage of development when the system is not steady.
- When you must give speedy feedback on the product quality in a short time span.
- When you need to discover the degree and varieties of deformity that is found.
- When the scripted tests are not recognizing numerous errors.
- When the project requirements are vague and are hard to decide the test cases to be run.
How to Do It
There is no set standard or design for the performance of this kind of testing. As it is a common testing practice, a tester must write test cases, make test information and after that implements them. But in exploratory testing, no test cases are written. Tester releases the application and just begins browsing it recognize the defects.
The main thing expected from exploratory testers is an imperfect log or deformity report. At times, if you make use of some kind of special data to test, that data must be included in your test data sheet. The following are the tips that you can use in exploratory testing:
- Bifurcate the application into modules and further divide modules into various pages. Begin your exploratory testing form the pages. This will give the correct scope.
- Make a list of the considerable number of characteristics and put a check stamp when that is covered.
- Initiate with an essential situation and then steadily improve it to add on some extra aspects to test it.
- Test all the response areas.
- Test for the error message.
- Test all the negative situations.
- Check the GUI (Graphical User Interface) against the setup standards.
- Check the incorporation of the application with some other outside applications.
- Check for the complex business rationales.
- Endeavor to do the moral hacking of the app.
The Importance of Exploratory Testing for Enhancing the Quality of Software
Manual exploratory testing can be used for the primary stage products prior their release and also, it can be used for overcoming the restrictions of current scripted tests. Exploratory testing is a psychologically organized technique that is powerful in discovering bugs.
Testers have the flexibility to explore even the little part of an application, enabling the QA groups to reveal issues that were missed amid the scripted tests. Exploratory testing in this way facilitates the product improvement in the accompanying methods:
- Improved Evaluation of Product
Exploratory testing provides testers the flexibility to execute more test cases and cover distinctive testing situations. Creativity is encouraged and testers are probably going to discover more practical bugs from an end client point of view. By gathering distinctive information and evaluating various factors of the software, this testing can give new insights to the developers for enhancing the technology and decrease the business risks.
- Fast Feedback
As various tasks are simultaneously implemented, this type of testing saves tune and allows fast feedback to the developers for improvement of the product. There is no reason to make a test record or plans to implement the test cycles. The shorter feedback circle implies that the organization can recognize business risks very fast and settle high need issues early enough.
- Find Critical Bugs
Exploratory testing allows the organization to locate the most critical bugs in a short period of time. Probabilities of exploring new bugs with the similar scripted tests are lesser. With this type of testing, testers can discover new situations where the programs are probably to fail.
- Prosperous for Testing Dynamic Products
Exploratory testing involves examination of whole software design. Testers don’t need to follow any sequence of scripted tests or standards prior shifting to other feature. They can investigate distinctive test environments that accelerate the procedure of bug detection. Hence, testers can carefully detect and investigate the behavior of the product.
- Enhance Efficiency of Scripted Tests
With exploratory testing, there is a possibility to enhance the current test plans and make better test scripts. It turns as an extra check to determine the correctness of scripted tests. Inputs and the gathered information form this type of testing can be used to enhance the current tests and diversify testing.
Exploratory testing is very helpful. It activates the thought process and aids to investigate and test the application without following any rules. If in some situations worthy defects are found during this testing, it is suggested to document it and if possible, attempt to incorporate the test in the relapse bed.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.