What are Enterprise Applications?
What are Enterprise Applications?
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
In my article we will be talking about enterprise software and enterprise applications. We’ll discuss topics such as development of this software and software that corporations will need.
What is Enterprise Software?
Let’s a take a look at the definitions of enterprise applications below:
According to Microsoft ; An enterprise application is a business application, obviously. As most people use the term, it is a big business application. In today’s corporate environment, enterprise applications are complex, scalable, distributed, component-based, and mission-critical. They may be deployed on a variety of platforms across corporate networks, intranets, or the Internet. They are data-centric, user-friendly, and must meet stringent requirements for security, administration, and maintenance. In short, they are highly complex systems.
According to Gartner ; Enterprise application software includes content, communication, and collaboration software; CRM software; digital and content creation software, ERP software; office suites; project and portfolio management; and SCM software.
According to Martin Fowler ; Enterprise applications are about the display, manipulation, and storage of large amounts of often complex data and the support or automation of business processes with that data.
Enterprise as work means communities and organizations. Therefore we can say enterprise applications respond to the requirements of organizations, enterprise problems and focuses these.
The common features of enterprise software?
- Extreme amount of data
- Complicated data relations
- Specific business domain
- Distributed systems and integration with other systems
- Concurrent access
- Multiple interface for user group
Who develops it?
We can separate two departments according to performed jobs in software corporations. Firstly, the infrastructure team develops new enterprise applications and also creates enterprise frameworks for all software systems. Secondly, the developer team uses for requirements the frameworks that are developed by the infrastructure team. Basic team In software corporations is infrastructure department.
I’ll shortly explain professional roles in corporation in following:
- Software engineer: implement to software requests
- Software architect / consultant: person who designs software at all level and determines relations between software
- Project manager: person who is responsible for elements such as timing, cost, management of projects
- Business domain expert / consultant: person who is experienced at business domain and comprehends functionalities/requirements of business
Enterprise Software Categories
- Customer Relationship Management – CRM
- Enterprise Resource Planning – ERP
- Corporate identity management – SSO with Active Directory
- Call center and customer support applications
- Health information management system
- Automated billing systems
- Financial -Accounting- Applications
- Enterprise Content Management System
- Business process management
- Business Intelligence Software
- Enterprise Messaging and collaboration systems – Lync
- Döküman yönetim sistemi
- HR- Human resources management
- Intranet Portal
Enterprise software development tecnical problems
- Transactional problems
- Physical layer’s problems
- Harmony in between business and data structures
- Error that occurs in third-party components and libraries and the whole system can be down because of these errors
- Multi-thread problems
- It’s set to everything as default in codes when you developed a project (hardcoded texts, nonparametric controls and decision structures). We can add technical debts here
- Faults in software architecture and designs
Do you provide all software that it will need of a middle and small level software corporation with open source?
Poster: Enterprise App Developer ATLAS (Bonus)
This poster is a map of the enterprise app developer journey. Helping developers make the right tool choices to reduce cost, increase revenue and capture new markets-featuring 248 tool across 27 sectors. This and similar posters and research help us to see big picture in the software development ecosystem. In the following, you will see main and sub heads contained in poster.
- API Access Gateway
- API Management
- API Directories
- HTML 5 Architecture Frameworks
- CSS UI Framework
- HTML 5 Hybrid Tools
- X to Native Converter
- Enterprise Mobile dev platforms
- Automated App Testing
- Beta Testing
- App Certification
- Split Testing
- Back-end as Service
- Cloud Computing Services
- App Stores
- Mobile Application Management
- AppStore Analytic
- User Analytic
- Crash Analytic & Bug Tracing
- Feedback & Helpdesk
- AppStore Optimization Services
- Cross Promotion Networks
- App Promotion Campaign Analytic
- AD Networks & AD Exchanges
- App Monetization Tools
Here’s the poster and website: http://www.appdeveloperatlas.com for more detailed information about this project.
That’s it for now. Have a good coding.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.