Eye on the Cloud: Recent News, Tools, and Tutorials
The Cloud Zone is brought to you in partnership with Mendix. Better understand the aPaaS landscape and how the right platform can accelerate your software delivery cadence and capacity with the Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Application Platform as a Service.
It’s 2012 now, and I’m finally back from a longish vacation during which I did some relaxing and ate too much sweets. Here’s a collection of links that Brian and I saved up over the holidays, hopefully they’re not too out of date.
- Node Tuts - A series of video tutorials on Node.js by Pedro Teixeira. Currently it’s up to 30 episodes, covering a variety of topics related to Node.
- Write Logs for Machines, use JSON - Paul Querna discusses why we should switch to logging that is easier for computers to understand rather than users. I generally agree with him, especially for large scale cloud deployments where you need to make sense of diagnostic information from 30 different instances of the application.
- Fault tolerant applications in Node.js - Good article on developing large scale, fault tolerant applications in Node.js using Hook.io. There’s some good general information here, so you don’t have to be a Node developer to benefit from a read.
- Nginx Surpasses IIS in Usage - According to NetCraft, Nginx is now the second most used web server. Congratulations Nginx!
- Nginx on Windows Azure - Speaking of Nginx, K. Taguchi has a short blog post on deploying Nginx to a Windows Azure worker role. It’s in Japanese, however the page is pretty comprehensive without translation.
- HTML5 Game Dev news - I just recently found this site in my quest for information on developing web based games. If you’re looking for information on building HTML 5 games, check it out.
- HTML5 Game Development Resources - Chris Bowen has a list of even more game development resources. This is a list culled from the HTML5 Game Camps back in December.
- 9 reasons you must install Sublime Text 2 - I discovered Sublime Text 2 a while back, and it’s now my go-to editor for Ruby and Node.js projects. Included in the 9 reasons to use it that this article puts forth, it also tells you how to install Package Control and points you to some useful packages.
- CTP of Apache Hadoop-based Services for Windows Azure Now Available - The community technology preview (CTP) of Apache Hadoop-based Services for Windows Azure (or Hadoop on Azure) is now available.
- Windows Azure & PHP (for nubs) - Part 2 of 4 - Brent Stineman posts part 2 of his adventures in running PHP in Windows Azure.
- Windows Azure Trial Account Spending Limit - Jim O’Neil describes the new Azure trial account spending limit feature.
- A Holiday.js Gift for Windows Azure Node.js Developers - A December update to the Windows Azure SDK for Node.js was released just before the new year.
- How do you synchronize a million to-do lists? - Maarten Balliauw looks at how you could use Windows Azure Service Bus to synchronize a million to-do lists.
- Node on Azure - A new blog about running Node.js on Windows Azure. Most recent post is about running Wheat Git-based blog engine on Windows Azure.