Five Reasons to Switch to Software for Load Balancing
Thinking about switching to a software-based load balancer but unsure if you want to pull the trigger? Read on to find out why you should.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
We’re proud to announce the release of our latest ebook, Five Reasons to Switch to Software for Load Balancing. Check it out.
A Bit of Background Info...
Hardware-based application delivery controllers (ADCs) have been around for two decades. ADCs revolutionized the way we deliver applications in the early 2000’s. But now, as the industry has moved overwhelmingly to software-defined infrastructure and deployment tools, ADCs have become high-cost, potentially antiquated devices.
Today, the companies operating most effectively at web scale use a completely software-based stack that hardware ADCs do not fit into. These companies are increasingly looking to software application delivery tools such as NGINX Plus to cut costs, increase performance, and achieve far greater flexibility and control.
We recently published a widely read price-performance comparison that documents the tremendous cost savings and additional flexibility that come from choosing software vs. hardware ADCs. The new ebook expands on that report, exploring five critical reasons why IT executives, network and operations professionals, and application developers should move from hardware ADCs to software solutions, including:
- Dramatically reduce costs – More than 75% less when compared to the F5 BIG-IP.
- Move to DevOps – Rapid deployment and continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) require fully automatable, software-based application delivery.
- Deploy everywhere – The same software for bare metal, cloud, containers, and more. NGINX Plus makes deployment flexible and easy.
- Rapid response – No waiting for special hardware, installation, and configuration. Scale up, scale out, and respond to customer demands in real time.
- No contractual constraints – Get the performance you pay for, without artificial performance caps or hefty fees for traffic increases.
This ebook will help you attain the benefits of moving from hardware ADC dependence to software-based freedom. To learn more, and to decide for yourself, get your free copy of the ebook today.
Published at DZone with permission of Floyd Smith, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.