Five Unique Ways to Get Hired in 2021
The application process for any job is daunting and overwhelming, but these tips will help you get that much closer to securing the job of your wildest dreams.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
There exists a “basic blueprint” that represents probably the most difficult (and worst way) to land the job you want! It goes a little something like this:
- Fill out a cookie-cutter CV template.
- Repeat the archaic pitch about "why you'd be a great fit."
- Blast this worn-out information to 50 different companies hoping to catch someone's attention.
You might get the attention of one or two hiring managers, but this can never be the path towards great jobs responsible for crafting long-lasting careers. Why?
Because using the old ways when applying can never help you stand out, especially in a socially connected world today. Here are the five quick-fire ways to get hired and advance towards the career of your dreams in 2021.
How to Land the Job of Your Dreams in 2021
1. Discover Your Passion and Find Your Niche
With enough practice, you can learn any skill in the world. However, passion can't be taught. In most cases, the only deciding factors for top companies are sincere interest and passion. Dig deep and find what makes you a specialist, and highlight those points on your CV. Remember, hiring managers are looking for well-rounded specialists all the time.
There's also a strong temptation to apply to a bunch of jobs. Applying to more jobs seems sensible even if you are not qualified or interested. It can improve your bets; however, there's a chance you'd end up spending a considerable amount of time keeping track of these jobs. A far better idea is to be smart and apply to a targeted number of jobs based on your passion, interest, and niche.
2: Try to Get Hired at a Startup
Alright — so, you have discovered a niche or a passion. Now understand what's going on in your industry. Follow the popular blogs, publications, and viral news within your industry. In a short time, you'll develop some wealth of knowledge which will be helpful during the interview process.
One effective way to gain quality experience fast is by joining a startup. Early-stage startups usually have a variety of needs. For young professionals, startups are always known for providing decent learning. This leads to rapid career growth a few months down the line.
You should start by compiling a list of recruiters with a finger on the pulse of what's hot and who’s hiring when it comes to new startups. Don't be afraid to contact them directly. Most startups will not hesitate to keep you on the radar for future job openings. Once you have their attention, don't forget to attract them with your unique skills.
3. Improve Your Online Presence and Influence
Your “active” social media profiles could be a significant differentiator to your competition. Once you have a considerable social presence, it's far easier to advertise your skills as well. You can then network and reach out to potential recruiting managers through those social profiles. Here's a 3-step blueprint for crafting and optimizing your profile:
- Here's what I've been doing.
- Here's what I want to do.
- Here's how I will help your organization grow.
Joining industry-focused groups works as well. If you can write well, you have the option to produce guest blog articles since most industry blog owners are always looking for fresh content and a new perspective.
4. Fix Up Your LinkedIn
LinkedIn is designed explicitly for professional networking, and it is different from other social channels. As a platform, LinkedIn offers a golden opportunity to position yourself as a dynamic and employable entity. A powerful LinkedIn profile shows discipline and acts as a powerful online asset to boost your personal brand. Here are a few steps to “power” your LinkedIn:
- Don't forget to complete your LinkedIn profile (and always state what you're looking for).
- Create a reminder to update your LinkedIn profile every 12 weeks and showcase what problems you solve.
- Post, share, and comment. Don't forget to create relevant content — be it text, images, or an infographic.
- Join your niche-specific online communities. Answer questions and offer suggestions that show your experience and expertise. These groups are a great place to find like-minded people who share the same interests. Naturally, you'll see more than a few job openings as well.
5. Prepare Yourself to Add Extreme Value
So, you received an email invitation for an interview. First, try and understand the organization's mission and values — something that many avoid and then later regret. Then make your skills and experience seem “profitable” to your prospective employer. For instance, you can share an estimate of the amount of money (or resources) you saved for your previous employer on a specific project. Most organizations want to see the value you provide, not just hear about it. The three most essential value-adds that hiring managers are looking for are:
- Show them how you can save/make money.
- Show them the way to improve the efficiency of an existing process.
- Discover a way to prevent a future problem for the organization.
It comes down to how well you market yourself — no one can do that for you but you. Leverage the advantages of a connected world and play off your strengths. The key to success lies somewhere between identifying, utilizing, and presenting your unique strengths to potential employers.
Hopefully, the five points highlighted here will help you come closer to finding your dream job. Create a systematic plan based on these tips, and you will be one step closer to getting hired in 2021. Now it is your turn. What steps are you taking to stand out in a crowded marketplace?
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.