Geek Reading: Women in Tech, Containers, and More
The best of the weeks reading for developers from around the Internet.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Today we start with an excellent post from Rex Software about 3 women who radically changed the course of technology. It is a nice profile of a few of the women that formed the core of computer science that we have today. On the Android Developers Blog, they tell us how to develop for direct boot. This is great for kiosk-mode tablets and other devices like that. By now you have heard about OpenAI and their new Gym beta. This will be an interesting thing to watch and see if it really does help AI grow.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Career and Process
- 3 Ways to Hustle Without Killing Yourself and Your Family | Calvin Koepke
- What is the best part about being a Software Engineer? | Alex Kras
- Software Testing Estimation Techniques & Hacks Webinar Recap | DZone Agile
- Hire characters, not skill sets. My most important questions in interviews. | Jan Voss
- 3 women who radically changed the course of technology | Rex Software
- Learning From Your Bugs | Henrik Warne
Design and Development
- Developing for Direct Boot | Android Developers Blog
- What is HATEOAS? | phalt.co
- Combining the power of Gradle, Flyway and JOOQ for seamless development with databases | Java Code Geeks
- A Doomed Code Review | Java Code Geeks
- Using d3js transitions in React | Swizec Teller
- Getting Started With Hazelcast and node.js | DZone Java
- Custom Deleters for C++ Smart Pointers | Code And Graphics
- Multithreading in modern C++ | Modernes C++
Concurrency, Performance and Scalability
- The design of RavenDB 4.0: The implications of the blittable format | Ayende @ Rahien
AI, Machine Learning, Research and Advanced Algorithms
- OpenAI Gym Beta | OpenAI
Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL
- Change in the British diet, since 1974 | Flowing Data
Infrastructure, Operations and DevOps
- Kafka Inside Keystone Pipeline | The Netflix Tech Blog
- Docker Image Building Strategy and Other Misconceptions About Image Size Reduction | Scalingo
- Let’s define “container-native” | TechCrunch
- Service Discovery for NGINX Plus with ZooKeeper | DZone Integration
- Unprivileged Build Containers | James Bottomley’s random Pages
- Deploy and configure a local Docker caching proxy | Java Code Geeks
- Double Shot #1676 | A Fresh Cup
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.