Geek Reading: Encapsulation, Search Strategy, and a Look Into the Brain of (Almost) Deep Blue
Also featuring: becoming a master of programming; issues in NoSQL; and the ELK stack on Docker.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Leading our day is a post from Kent Beck about mastering programming. It is more of an outline than a full post, but it still has a ton of excellent information. At Ayende @ Rahien we have a great series of posts regarding the “guts n’ glory” of database internals. Today’s installment talks about the problems with some file formats when you want to search for data. If you have any interest in this area, I highly recommend that you pay attention to that series. Meteor Engineering gives us an interesting post about MongoDB not returning all matching documents for a query. This is really not an issue that is specific to MongoDB, it is highly possible that non-ACID databases or even odd clustering situations can yield the same results.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Career, and Process
- Leading Agile Change: Proven Change Models for Agile Transformation | DZone Agile
- Mob Programming – the Good, the Bad and the Great. | under the hood
- Mastering Programming | Kent Beck
- Using Return On Team to Enhance Business Agility | DZone Agile
- BusinessCapabilityCentric | Martin Fowler
Design and Development
- Groovy Goodness: Creating Files and Directories With a Nice DSL Using FileTreeBuilder | DZone Java
- Encapsulation: I Don’t Think it Means What You Think it Means | DZone Java
- Exercises in Kotlin: Part 4 – Control Flows and Return | DZone Java
- Bootstrap 4: A Visual Guide to What’s New | WDstack
- & vs. ref in Rust patterns | Karol Kuczmarski
- On the “naturalness” of buggy code | the morning paper
- A useful new strace feature | Julia Evans
- Groovy Retrospective: An Addendum – Memory Usage and PermGen | DZone Java
AI, Machine Learning, Research, and Advanced Algorithms
- Building powerful image classification models using very little data | Keras
- Boosting Sales With Machine Learning | Xeneta
- Adversarial validation, part two | FastML
- Quantum annealing with a digital twist | Google Research
Big Data, Visualization, SQL, and NoSQL
- The Guts n’ Glory of Database Internals: Searching information and file format | Ayende @ Rahien
- Play chess against the machine and see what it’s thinking | Flowing Data
- MongoDB queries don’t always return all matching documents! | Meteor Engineering
- Splice Machine Announces Move to Open Source, Offers Early Access to Developers | Splice Machine
- Search Strategy Formulation: A Framework For Learning | Information Interaction
Infrastructure, Operations, and DevOps
- Running ELK stack on docker – full solution | Avi Tzurel
- Dew Drop – June 8, 2016 (#2267) | Morning Dew
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.