Geek Reading: Internet Trends, Salesforce Buys, and xkcd Amazingness
Istanbul or Constantinople? Okay, the comic isn't necessarily dev-focused, but it's seriously fantastic. And there are plenty of other great Geek Reads for you here.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
It is that time of year again as TechCrunch reports on Mary Meeker’s 2016 Internet Trends Report. It is always an excellent analysis of the trends and should be required reading for everyone in our industry. TechCrunch also has the first report of the Salesforce purchase of Demandware. I don’t talk about acquisitions too often, but this is fairly big, about $2.8 Billion big. Lastly, XKCD has a great comic about map age, but it is an interesting view into world history as well. It is definitely something you should look at today.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
- Salesforce buys Demandware for $2.8B, taking a big step into e-commerce | TechCrunch
- Map Age Guide | xkcd
- Mary Meeker’s essential 2016 Internet Trends Report | TechCrunch
Startups, Career and Process
- Bridging the Communication Gap Between Developers and Architects | DaedTech
- The rise and fall of the Dungeon Master | Alberto Brandolini
- The Immutability of Math and How Almost Everything Else Will Pass | HackerRank Blog
- OutcomeOriented | Martin Fowler
- ActivityOriented | Martin Fowler
- Doing things that don’t scale and grandparents | ghacklabs
Design and Development
- Scala Notes Futures – 1 | Java Code Geeks
- Lombok, a compile time Java annotation preprocessor to minimize code size | Java Code Geeks
- Vaadin Data Binding Example | Java Code Geeks
- Microservices vs. SOA | DZone Integration
- From Java Anonymous Class to Single Line Lambda in 3 Steps | DZone Java
Concurrency, Performance and Scalability
AI, Machine Learning, Research and Advanced Algorithms
- Deep Reinforcement Learning: Pong from Pixels | Andrej Karpathy
- Distributed representations of sentences and documents | the morning paper
- Functional programming & conjugate priors: folds over data | John D. Cook
Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL
- Getting Started with Heron on Apache Mesos and Apache Kafka | Java Code Geeks
Infrastructure, Operations and DevOps
- WTF is operations? #serverless | charity.wtf
Security, Encryption and Cryptography
- Out-of-Box Exploitation: A Security Analysis of OEM Updaters | Duo
- 2016 Guide to User Data Security (Part 1) | DZone Integration
IaaS, PaaS, Saas and *aas
- Dew Drop – June 1, 2016 (#2263) | Morning Dew
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.