Geek Reading: Mixins Considered Harmful
Interesting articles across a multitude of dev topics including IoT architectures, higher-order runables, and React.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Yesterday was buy a company day! First, Atlassian announced their acquisition of StatusPage. This is yet another step in the DevOps and monitoring direction for Atlassian. Amazon acquired Cloud9, which gives them a development environment in the cloud. Basically, Amazon does not want to give you a reason to not use their services. In the not quite an acquisition category, we have a great post from Astronomer on their near investment and acquisition. It is an excellent look into what can happen during the both of those deals.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Career and Process
- Some Design Up Front: Why “Sprint Zero” is Not Enough | Atomic Object
- An Almost Acquisition Story | Astronomer
- The Roofshot Manifesto | re:Work
- 12 Mistakes in Agile Manifesto | DZone Agile
Design and Development
- Mixins Considered Harmful | React
- Background: An Architecture for Millions of Things | Citybound DevBlog
- Easy Resource Internationalization With Rincl | DZone Java
- An Informal Approach to Higher-Order Runnables | DZone Java
- Introducing the Facebook SDK for Swift Beta | Facebook for Developers
Concurrency, Performance, and Scalability
- Bandwidth reduction for erasure coded storage | StorageMojo
- What Goes Down Better Come Up a.k.a. Adventures in Hbase Diagnostics | Feedly
- Lepton image compression: saving 22% losslessly from images at 15MB/s | Dropbox Tech Blog
AI, Machine Learning, Research, and Advanced Algorithms
- Kalman filters and functional programming | John D. Cook
- Teaching an AI to write Python code with Python code | Will cars dream?
- How to Use Machine Learning Algorithms in Weka | Machine Learning Mastery
Infrastructure, Operations, and DevOps
- The Guts n’ Glory of Database Internals: Backup, restore and the environment… | Ayende @ Rahien
- How do HTTP requests get sent to the right place? | Julia Evans
- Monitoring our Stack with Elixir | AlphaSights Engineering
Security, Encryption, and Cryptography
- Mozilla SUMO cache poisoning and open redirect | Yassine Aboukir
- The Value of a Hacked Company | Krebs on Security
IaaS, PaaS, Saas, and *aas
- Run your Spring Boot application on AWS using Elastic Beanstalk | Java Code Geeks
- Great News! Cloud9 Acquired by Amazon. | Cloud9
- Dew Drop – July 14. 2016 (#2287) | Morning Dew
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.