Geek Reading: Stolen Passwords, Memory Leaks, and Python Polymorphism
Also featuring: microservices fault and latency tolerance, Python data visualization libraries, advice for engineering secure things, and more.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
It has been a while, but some security news leads our day. First, The Next Web reports on 45M passwords being stolen from over 1100 VerticalScope forums. This has the potential to bleed into another password reuse hack like we have seen lately. Sentry has an excellent post about a security incident that they had recently. As far as they know, no data has been taken, but their response and documentation of the process is fantastic. At Codelitt, we get a great post about securing ubuntu. This builds on another blogger’s “my first 5 minutes on a server” post, so make sure you read the linked posts as well.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Career and Process
- Illusory Superiority: Are You a Good Programmer? | DZone Agile
- Enterprise Agility in a World of Unknowns | DZone Agile
Design and Development
- Scala notes – Futures – 3 (Combinators and Async) | Java Code Geeks
- Polymorphism in Python | It Will Never Work In Theory
- API Versioning Methods, a Brief Reference | DZone Integration
- Some thoughts on clojure.spec | Martin Trojer
- Serverless Architectures | Martin Fowler
Concurrency, Performance and Scalability
- Microservices fault and latency tolerance using Netflix Hystrix | Java Code Geeks
- Using ltrace to debug a memory leak | Julia Evans
- The Image Optimization Technology that Serves Millions of Requests Per Day | High Scalability
AI, Machine Learning, Research and Advanced Algorithms
Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL
- 10 Useful Python Data Visualization Libraries for Any Discipline | KD Nuggets
- Firearms Dealers vs. Burgers, Pizza, and Coffee | Flowing Data
- U.S. gun deaths rate is an outlier | Flowing Data
- SQL Query on Mixed Schema Data Using Apache Drill | Java Code Geeks
Security, Encryption and Cryptography
- MitM-ing Postgres | thusoy
- 45m passwords stolen from over 1,100 VerticalScope forums | The Next Web
- Validating JWT With Spring Boot and Spring Security | DZone Integration
- Security Incident (June 12 2016) | Sentry
- My First 10 Minutes On a Server – Primer for Securing Ubuntu | Codelitt
- How to Engineer Secure Things: Past Mistakes and Future Advice | Bishop Fox
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.