Geek Reading: Following the Stream, Microservice Sidecars, NLP Elixir
The perils of agile, merge limitations with subversion, and squeezing blood from a stone are just some of the topics in this reading list. Or is it the plot from a scary movie?
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
If you only read this tech blog, then you might not have heard about the recent issues with Ethereum and the DAO. The Ethereum Blog posted about a DAO vulnerability. It ends up that the vulnerability was used to start draining ether, which led to a ton of posts about this. At Hacking, Distributed, they talk about their thoughts on the DAO hack. This is probably one of the more interesting and balanced looks at the problem. Stake Ventures has a post that discusses the potential options for recovery and how they might pierce the “Decentralized Veil” of Ethereum. The concept is discussed as a parallel to the corporate veil people talk about for some enterprises.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Careers, and Process
- The Post-Interview Thank You Note: It’s Not About Gratitude | DZone Agile
- The Perils of Agile (Micro)Management | DZone Agile
Design and Development
- Ratpacked: Use TestHttpClient for External HTTP Services | DZone Integration
- Flowing Through the Tubes of the Stream API (Java 8) | DZone Java
- How to Load Balance RESTful Web Services Using CXF and Apache Camel | DZone Integration
- Developing Modern Applications with Scala: Build with SBT | Java Code Geeks
- Subversion Merge Limitations That Are Not In Fossil | Paul Hammant
- The practicality of designing and describing your APIs | Ilija Eftimov
- Go: Subtests and Sub-benchmarks | Elliot Chance
- Dynamic Witnesses for Static Type Errors (or, ill-typed programs usually go wrong) | Lambda the Ultimate
- Creating Value Objects with Immutables | Inspired by Actual Events
- Favorite Swift 3.0 Features | Learn Swift
Concurrency, Performance, and Scalability
AI, Machine Learning, Research, and Advanced Algorithms
- JPEG 101 – How does JPEG work? | Arjun Sreedharan
- Use Wit.ai Natural Language Processing in Elixir for bots | Zohaib Rauf
Big Data, Visualization, SQL, and NoSQL
- Building a Streaming Analytics Stack with Apache Kafka and Druid | confluent
- Faceted Search in the Single PostgreSQL Query | Alexander Korotkov’s blog
Security, Encryption, and Cryptography
- CRITICAL UPDATE Re: DAO Vulnerability | Ethereum Blog
- Thoughts on The DAO Hack | Hacking, Distributed
- Journey into WebSockets Authentication/Authorization | stratum security
- Crisis based forking can pierce the Decentralized Veil of Ethereum | Stake Ventures
- JSON Web Tokens (JWT) vs Sessions | float middle
IaaS, PaaS, Saas, and *aas
- Writing an AWS lambda function with Golang | Avi Tzurel
- Programming Digest #164 for June 20, 2016 | Weekly Programming Newsletter
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.