Geek Reading March 12, 2015
Geek Reading March 12, 2015
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
xMatters delivers integration-driven collaboration that relays data between systems, while engaging the right people to proactively resolve issues. Read the Monitoring in a Connected Enterprise whitepaper and learn about 3 tools for resolving incidents quickly.
Today we get an announcement from Google about the introduction of Google Cloud Storage Nearline. It is quite interesting to see Google and Amazon fight this battle. DaedTech brings us an interesting post regarding the curse of knowledge. All developers know this issue, you start explaining an issue to someone but there is so much assumed knowledge when the conversation starts. It is a gift to be able to avoid this consistently. Also, please note that the performance section below is full of good articles again today. High Scalability, Netflix, LinkedIn and siddontang have some really interesting information for us.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
- Introducing Google Cloud Storage Nearline: (near)online data at an offline price | Google Cloud Platform
Career and Process
- Lifting the Curse of Knowledge | DaedTech
- Master the Essentials of UI Test Automation: Chapter One | Javalobby
- What is good code? A scientific definition. | Intent HQ Engineering blog
- Shipping Side Projects | Slashie
- Test Collection Implementations with Guava | Java Code Geeks
- dependency injection – a functional way | getting sharper
Concurrency, Performance and Scalability
- Cassandra Migration to EC2 | High Scalability
- Can Spark Streaming survive Chaos Monkey? | The Netflix Tech Blog
- Scaling the collection of self-service metrics | LinkedIn Engineering
- Build up a High Availability Distributed Key-Value Store | siddontang
AI, Machine Learning, Research and Advanced Algorithms
- Efficient WebGL stroking | Hyperandroid
- Extremely small probabilities | John D. Cook
- Automatic topic-modelling with Latent Dirichlet Allocation | Intent HQ Engineering blog
- Deeper Content Analysis with Aspects: Interest Graph grows beyond Topics | Prismatic
Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL
- Multi-layered storytelling with visualization | Flowing Data
- Finding interesting computer sciency people to follow on Twitter | Mark Needham
- Delta Architectures: Unifying the Lambda Architecture and leveraging Storm from Hadoop/REST | Java Code Geeks
Infrastructure, Operations and DevOps
- Introducing the “rhel-tools” for RHEL Atomic Host | Red Hat Developer Blog
Security, Encryption and Cryptography
- Another round of image bugs: PNG and JPEG XR | lcamtuf’s blog
Fun and Other stuff
- Unblocking resources with Webmaster Tools | Google Webmaster Central
- For What’s Next: the new Chromebook Pixel and USB Type-C | Google Chrome Blog
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.