Geek Reading March 19, 2015
Geek Reading March 19, 2015
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
The Agile Zone is brought to you in partnership with Techtown Training. Learn how DevOps and SAFe® can be used either separately or in unison as a way to make your organization more efficient, more effective, and more successful in our SAFe® vs DevOps eBook.
Just in case you did not think mobile payments were about to take off, Facebook introduces friend-to-friend payments. Clearly, Facebook wants some skin in the game before the industry really gets going. GigaOm may be gone, but the Structure conference went on because the attendees organized their own conference. This is interesting for a few reasons. First, the power of the people is obvious. Second, the conference clearly fills a need and has a passionate following. I am curious to see if the owners of GigaOm’s remains take advantage of this. In other news from Stanford Medicine, scientists have discovered how to change human leukemia cells into harmless immune cells. While this is still early, the potential is very interesting.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
- Facebook Introduces Free Friend-To-Friend Payments Through Messages | TechCrunch
- Death of Gigaom doesn’t kill Structure Data conference: Attendees organize their own | VentureBeat
- Scientists discover how to change human leukemia cells into harmless immune cells | Stanford Medicine
Career and Process
- This Is What Impactful Engineering Leadership Looks Like | First Round Review
- More Ways to Visualize Your Project Portfolio | Johanna Rothman
- Cultural Judo: How to Change Culture Without Changing Culture | Javalobby
- Java 9 and Beyond | The Java Source
- Rethinking Pair Programming | Java Code Geeks
- What I Learned from Learning about SpecFlow | DaedTech
- How to batch INSERT and UPDATE statements with Hibernate | Vlad Mihalcea
- Introducing SuPPort | PayPal Engineering Blog
- Why you expect too much from open source | Leon Mergen
- Basic Groovy and Grails Code Review Guidelines | Java Code Geeks
- MSBuild Engine is now Open Source on GitHub | .NET Blog
Concurrency, Performance and Scalability
- Linux Performance Analysis: New Tools and Old Secrets | Brendan Gregg
- How We Built Our Stack For Shipping at Scale | HubSpot Product Team
- Full stack system call latency profiling | LTTng
AI, Machine Learning, Research and Advanced Algorithms
- Cross validation as a subtle way to over-fit | John D. Cook
- Conway’s Game of Life – Trying it on images | zx
- Binomial Heap | Type OCaml
Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL
- Delta Architectures: Unifying the Lambda Architecture and Leveraging Storm from Hadoop/REST | Javalobby
Infrastructure, Operations and DevOps
- How to Rank DevOps Opportunities in SaaS Startups | Javalobby
- Ignore the Hype: 5 Docker Misconceptions Java Developers Should Consider | Java Code Geeks
- Deploy Puppet on Google Compute Engine with a click | Google Cloud Platform
- Double Shot #1490 | A Fresh Cup
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.