Geek Reading March 23, 2016 #1068
Never enough time, but you know you have to do it to keep current. Some interesting reads for this week.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Leading the day we have GoDaddy and their announcement of the availability of their Cloud Servers and Applications. GoDaddy has been trying to clean up their image and get into more technical hosting, so this follows what I have seen in the recent past. I am not sure if it is a great idea to try to compete with Google and Amazon at this point though. Facebook gives us some interesting research and a cool data visualization in their post about careers running in families. Google Cloud Platform announces some improvements to Google Cloud Launcher, which simplifies running third party applications in the cloud. This is good positioning between Amazon AWS and platforms like Heroku.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Career, and Process
- Boost Agile Testing by Cultivating a Shared Mental Model | DZone Agile
- 3 Tips for building a Technical Vision | Pat Kua
- Gamify your learning goals | Cindy Potvin
- 10 Leadership Qualities to Become a Successful Product Manager | DZone Agile
Design and Development
- Ember & Data Down, Actions Up | Jeffrey Jurgajtis
- Inheritance Is Terrible | Lionel Barrow
- That Code’s Not Dead – It Went To a Farm Upstate… And You’re Paying For It | DaedTech
- Sub-processing with modern C++ | From Mordor, with love
- Simple coroutines for games in C++ | I Like Big Bits
- The Maximal Decoupled “Parameterized Factory-Method-Pattern” | DZone Java
- 3 Steps For Analyzing a Gradle Project With SonarQube Using Docker | Java Code Geeks
Concurrency, Performance, and Scalability
- How do you do capacity planning? | Julia Evans
- Web Page Performance Death by a Thousand Tiny Cuts | metroize
Big Data, Visualization, SQL, and NoSQL
- (Abusing) Elasticsearch as a Framework | zignar.net
- Do jobs run in families? | Research at Facebook
- Apache Spark as a Distributed SQL Engine | Java Code Geeks
Infrastructure, Operations, and DevOps
- Packing the way to immutable infrastructure | grobinson.net
- Looking at DiagnosticCommandMBean in JConsole and VisualVM | Inspired by Actual Events
Security, Encryption, and Cryptography
- Bypassing Antivirus With Ten Lines of Code or (Yet Again) Why Antivirus is Largely Useless | attactics[dot]org
- 3 Months and 1 Million SSH Attempts Later | Livesshattack.net Blog
IaaS, PaaS, Saas, and *aas
- Google Cloud Launcher simplifies running third party apps in the cloud | Google Cloud Platform
- GoDaddy Announces Worldwide Launch of Cloud Servers & Cloud Applications | GoDaddy Inc
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.