Geek Reading May 14, 2015
Geek Reading May 14, 2015
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Read why times series is the fastest growing database category.
Today is security day. The Chromium blog starts our day by announcing the requirement of extensions being in the Chrome Store for all dev channels. This really limits the number of attack vectors people have with Chrome. Venture Beat reports on the VENOM vulnerability, which at least Amazon AWS states they are protected from. This is yet another vulnerability targeted at cloud servers.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Career and Process
- Imperfect substitutes | Seth Godin
- Stay Competitive: Keep Your Team Fast and Focused | Javalobby
- Why the way we look at technical debt is wrong | Bigcommerce Engineering
- Does TDD really lead to good design? | Java Code Geeks
- Inspiration vs Imitation | Cushion
- MicroservicePremium | Martin Fowler
- How Java 9 and Project Jigsaw May Break Your Code | Javalobby
- Create a Reactive Websocket Server with akka-streams | Javalobby
- Sometimes, the old ways are the best | Bryan O’Sullivan
Concurrency, Performance and Scalability
- The HBase Request Throttling Feature | Apache HBase
AI, Machine Learning, Research and Advanced Algorithms
- An Important Step in Artificial Intelligence | UCSB News
- Deep Learning for Image Understanding in Planetary Science | Parallel Forall
Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL
- Where Subway Dominates Its Sandwich Place Competition, Basically Everywhere | Flowing Data
- Retail Reference Architecture Part 1: Building a Flexible, Searchable, Low-Latency Product Catalog | Javalobby
- Streaming data into HPCC using Java | Java Code Geeks
- Four Months of statsd-jvm-profiler: A Retrospective | Code As Craft
Infrastructure, Operations and DevOps
- DevOps: DIY vs. Commercial | Javalobby
Security, Encryption and Cryptography
- The Little MAC Attack | Dan Kaminsky
- ‘Home-brewed’ encryption scheme opens millions of smart meters to hacking, warn researchers | FierceITSecurity
- Continuing to protect Chrome users from malicious extensions | Chromium Blog
- Cloud providers scramble to address VENOM security vulnerability | Venture Beat
IaaS, PaaS, Saas and *aas
- Avoid Being Locked into Your Cloud Services | Javalobby
- Dew Drop – May 13, 2015 (#2013) | Morning Dew
- Windows 10 Editions – The Daily Six Pack: May 14, 2015 | Dirk Strauss
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.