Geek Reading: DevLife, Refactoring APIs, and More
Building without coding? What is a good client? Logistic regression and charting libraries.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Leading our day is a post from Signal v. Noise. They have a rant about “eat, sleep, code, repeat”, basically complaining that people can not sustain that pace and generally have other interests as well. On the same topic, we have Belen Albeza talking about developers having a life outside of coding. I have always found this idea important because it can bring a different perspective to our work. It also means that people have a life outside of work, which is very healthy. On DZone, we get a slightly different slant on things, where they talk about keeping yourself entertained with extracurricular projects. The important thing to note is that much of the article is talking about projects at work, not at home.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Career and Process
- Finding good clients | John D. Cook
- Discovery Projects Work for Agile Contracts | Johanna Rothman
- Bimodal IT: Do It Right, or Don’t Do It at All | DZone Agile
- Top developers can have a life outside coding | Belen Albeza
- “Eat, sleep, code, repeat” is such bullshit | Signal v. Noise
- Building Products Without Coding | Learning New Stuff
- Keep Yourself Entertained At Work With Extracurricular Projects | DZone Agile
Design and Development
- Publish Subscribe model in Kafka | Java Code Geeks
- CSS coding techniques | Mozilla Hacks
- Developer Experience (DX) – Devs Are People Too | DZone Agile
- 5 Items to Consider When Refactoring an API | DZone Integration
- If Java Is the Matrix, Then Scala Is the Red Pill | DZone Java
- Object Oriented Inheritance in Go | Hackthology
- The Blockchain Explained to Web Developers, Part 2: In Practice | marmelab
Concurrency, Performance, and Scalability
- Eager Optimization Is The Enemy | DZone Java
AI, Machine Learning, Research, and Advanced Algorithms
- Notes from my PyData Berlin keynote | Julia Evans
- Rohan #6: Follow-up: statistical interpretation of logistic regression | A year of Artificial Intelligence.
- Getting Started With Predictive Analytics on Bluemix | DZone Integration
Big Data, Visualization, SQL, and NoSQL
- One Chart, Twelve Charting Libraries | Lisa Charlotte Rost
- Neo4j vs Relational: Refactoring – Extracting node/table | Mark Needham
- The Changing Economics of Big Data | Java Code Geeks
Security, Encryption, and Cryptography
- Evolving the Safe Browsing API | Google Security Blog
- Web Development Reading List #138: Accessible Web Components And CSS And Sass Precision | Smashing Magazine
- Programming Digest #160 for May 23, 2016 | Weekly Programming Newsletter
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.