Geek Reading May 28, 2015
Geek Reading May 28, 2015
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Hortonworks Sandbox for HDP and HDF is your chance to get started on learning, developing, testing and trying out new features. Each download comes preconfigured with interactive tutorials, sample data and developments from the Apache community.
Recode leads our day with some reporting on Mary Meeker’s internet trends for 2015. The slides are a must read, as they are every year. Google adds app deep linking using goo.gl addresses. This should be a nice boon for mobile developers. In security and operations, Banyan talks about the problem of vulnerabilities in many official Docker images. Just because you are using containers does not mean you do not need to update software within the container. There are also several great posts throughout the development and data sections today, so you have lots of reading to do.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
- Models for adaptive arithmetic coding | The ryg blog
- Go Is Unapologetically Flawed, Here’s Why We Use It | Brave New Geek
- The Cons of AngularJS | Javalobby
- Four Ways to Quickly Test Swift Code | Javalobby
- Monolithic Core vs Full Microservice Architecture | Javalobby
- Optimistic UI with Meteor | Meteor Blog
- App deep linking with goo.gl | Google Developers Blog
- Wrapper Types in Rust: Choosing Your Guarantees | In Pursuit of Laziness
Concurrency, Performance and Scalability
- A Toolkit to Measure Basic System Performance and OS Jitter | High Scalability
- Easy cluster parallelization with ZeroMQ | mdup
AI, Machine Learning, Research and Advanced Algorithms
- So, You Need a Statistically Significant Sample | Stitch Fix Technology
- Cheap, Deep Learning with Fusion Reflection | Simon Funk
Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL
- Digital Marketing & Analytics: Five Deadly Myths De-mythified! | Occam’s Razor
- Interactive documentary connects World War II data to the events | Flowing Data
- NBA Backcourts: Are the Splash Bros the best guard duo in recent history? | Tartan Sports Analytics
- Zero-downtime Postgres migrations – the hard parts | GoCardless Blog
- Using logs to build a solid data infrastructure (or: why dual writes are a bad idea) | Confluent
Infrastructure, Operations and DevOps
- Automated Compute Engine and Docker Image Builds with Jenkins, Packer, and Kubernetes | Google Cloud Platform
Security, Encryption and Cryptography
- The Moose is loose: Linux-based worm turns routers into social network bots | ars technica
- Over 30% of Official Images in Docker Hub Contain High Priority Security Vulnerabilities | Banyan
- Double Shot #1510 | A Fresh Cup
- Dew Drop – May 27, 2015 (#2022) | Morning Dew
- Visual Studio Enterprise – The Daily Six Pack: May 28, 2015 | Dirk Strauss
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.