Geek Reading May 7, 2015
Geek Reading May 7, 2015
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Let me start by apologizing for the downtime today. There was some configuration that I had obviously forgotten to do because the database hostname was changing. Obviously, that happened late yesterday and I figured it out this morning. So, the 10 people that look at the blog while I am sleeping will have to come back today to see what’s new
I will only highlight the top story today. Google announced Cloud Bigtable, the database that powers all of the good stuff at Google. This is a very interesting development because you get a database at Google scale and it could change where startups decide to host. Could this be the release that changes the Amazon EC2 dominance?
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
- Announcing Google Cloud Bigtable: The database that powers Search, Gmail and Analytics | Google Cloud Platform
Startups, Career and Process
- 8 Career Tips That Don’t Require Competence | DaedTech
- How to write a Rust syntax extension | Bro, Do You Even Code?
- Atomics in Objective-C | BiasedBit
- Custom Mobile Testing Framework | Javalobby
- Playing with Concurrency and Performance in Java and Node.js | Javalobby
- Binding to Data Services with Spring Boot in Cloud Foundry | Javalobby
- Updating code at runtime (spring-loaded demystified) | Java Code Geeks
- Using Rust to generate Mercurial short-hash collisions | Jan de Mooij’s blog
AI, Machine Learning, Research and Advanced Algorithms
- Determining hot items with exponentially decaying likes | Jules Jacobs
- Neural network chip built using memristors | arstechnica
Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL
- Black and White America compared as if they were countries | Flowing Data
- Filtered Indexes and Relational Databases | Javalobby
Infrastructure, Operations and DevOps
- Creating honeypots using Docker | itInsight
- Varnish Goes Upstack with Varnish Modules and Varnish Configuration Language | High Scalability
- Understanding Docker Security and Best Practices | Docker
Security, Encryption and Cryptography
- Many ways of malware persistence (that you were always afraid to ask) | Jump ESP, jump!
- New Research: The Ad Injection Economy | Google Online Security
Fun and Other stuff
- More precise data in the new Search Analytics report | Google Webmaster Central
- Spiders Ingest Nanotubes, Then Weave Silk Reinforced with Carbon | MIT Technology Review
- Dew Drop – May 6, 2015 (#2008) | Morning Dew
- Microsoft Edge Dev – The Daily Six Pack: May 7, 2015 | Dirk Strauss
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.